[SOLVED IN A WAY] Installing on UEFI with legacy support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED IN A WAY] Installing on UEFI with legacy support Reply with quote

Hello all.

I bought a new laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15R. It has a 1Tb HD, and I want to have a 250Gb partition for windows and the rest for gentoo. It comes with windows 8, which is incredibly awful (seriously, is the worst thing that MS has made in its history, it completely destroys windows as a OS for working, not for internet, facebook and all that BS), and it has a lot of those stupid recovery partitions and that, so I'm going to erase everything and make a windows 7 clean install (and then the linux one). The problem is that windows 7 will only install with legacy bios support (Load Legacy Option Rom, it is called).

So I don't know how I will have to proceed from this: should I install linux as UEFI and both will work? Should I install it as in the old days, with MRB and stuff? It is EFI really that good so it's actually useful to have? Etc.

Thanks for your help and bye.

Last edited by juantxorena on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this was fast. While searching for these solutions, I have found that it is possible to resize and move windows partitions without reinstalling, so I donwloaded an partition manager boot cd (partition wizard) and reorganized the disk, so now I have enough space for linux. I stil have instaled windows 8, but I'm going to give it a try. After all, I don't use windows that much.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: