Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a way to start an X session remotely?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Is there a way to start an X session remotely? Reply with quote

I have a login manager running. The machine is remotely located and I want to start an X session as if I logged into the login manager while sitting in front of the computer.

can I do that?
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean you sit in front of machine A and you are logged in with ssh in machine B and then you want to start an X-server that is displayed on machine A?

if yes I think you can do it with Xdmx and I want to do the same, but I haven't had any success. Until now I'm only able to start an X-session on machine A that is displayed on machine B :(
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
do you mean you sit in front of machine A and you are logged in with ssh in machine B and then you want to start an X-server that is displayed on machine A?

if yes I think you can do it with Xdmx and I want to do the same, but I haven't had any success. Until now I'm only able to start an X-session on machine A that is displayed on machine B :(

no. I mean, that i am in front of machine A and I want to start an X server on machine B. I.e. so if I were to go to machine B, it would look like I am logged in there on the main (F7) X server.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but thats easy isn't it?

obviously you have to connect the two machines somehow, so you are in front of machine A, then you ssh to machine B then you type startx (I guess with a login manager its similar). then there is an X-server on machine B and if you go to machine B you are logged in on F7.

That's what I do every day (laptop is machine A and my desktop machine B)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i should stop the dm? I forget how to use startx to start in a specific user.

I guess there is no way to do this without taking down the dm?
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I only boot to runlevel 3 and then use startx I don't have any experience with login managers, but when you boot to runlevel 5 and login machine A with any user, then you have an X-server running on machine A, then you can launch a terminal emulator and from there you ssh into machine B, then you type startx to start the X-server on machine B.

So you don't need to stop the dm (on machine A). I guess if you don't want to do it with startx, you can configure a login manager on machine B too, but I don't know how.

(if you type startx you are already logged in with a specific user, because you do ssh user@machineB, so if you want to login with a different user when you come to machine B then you have maybe have to restart the dm if I'm correct and if I understand you correctly)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: