Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
RIP Thatcher
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 759
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Naib wrote:
Fact of the matter is Labour had again fucked up the economy. The unions had the country by the balls. There was a vote of no confidence against the prime minister!


So the UK needed a better labour party, or a "one nation" tory party. Thatcher's "cure" was worse than the disease. It's like going to the doctor with a broken finger only to have the doctor break your arm and pronounce you cured.


What of the inflation? IMF bailout? Harsh conditions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 659
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
btw, when hugo chavez died, woah, our conservatives showed so much respect!!!


Not sure about the conservatives, but I was glad when that disgusting little tyrannical thief died. I was also quite glad when that drunk driving murderous son-of-a-bootlegger, Ted Kennedy, died.
_________________
There is no god but Bach, Beethoven is the messenger of Bach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
and you failed to answer the question. How exactly did she and her conservative gov'n fuck with you?


This is relevant because...?

Naib wrote:
The country always needs a better labour gov'n they always fucked things up. The country always needs a better tory gov'n. The country needs better gov'n but it doesn't exist it jocky's between one extreme and another. YET you still havn't backed up ur drivel


Someone didn't. You make great play setting out some problems you perceived with the previous government but you failed to back up your drivel that Thatcher was the solution. In fact, I've referred to many examples of failed Tory policies.

Charismatic, messianic assholes have a habit of sneaking into power on the back of economic problems. It's like eating a big bag of jam donuts when you're starving*. You think you want them but they're really not good for you.

*yes I have been homeless, although not under Thatcher and, after not eating anything for 36 hours, I can still remember what those donuts tasted like
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Actually, I think mcgruff has a point.


I think you do too. The thing about forgiveness is that without it you demean human life.

I find it hard to forgive Thatcher though. I can't pretend that the news didn't cheer me up like I just bet $10 and won $100.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4397
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its relevant because it means you are just chanting the popular opinion rather than contributing to it. The daily 2min of hate is only really effective if you have a reason for hate, unless you are a souless sheeple

and likewise I don't really care if you have been homeless if it isn't as a result of Thatcher since they are two unrelated episodes. You are just parroting others with their vitriol towards a harsh lady during harsh times.
_________________
the table is made from wood. forget what you learnt, the table is made from carbon. forget what you learnt, the table is made from protons. forget what you learnt, the table is made from quarks. forget what you learnt, the table is good for shagging on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4397
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Actually, I think mcgruff has a point.


I think you do too. The thing about forgiveness is that without it you demean human life.

I find it hard to forgive Thatcher though. I can't pretend that the news didn't cheer me up like I just bet $10 and won $100.

You have no reason to forgive her, that has become apparent in this thread. Your hatred for her is personally baseless. Its like hating Gorbachev, you were not directly significantly effected by either of their policies to warrant the level of vitriol. Show some respect for the dead.
_________________
the table is made from wood. forget what you learnt, the table is made from carbon. forget what you learnt, the table is made from protons. forget what you learnt, the table is made from quarks. forget what you learnt, the table is good for shagging on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Its relevant because it means you are just chanting the popular opinion rather than contributing to it. The daily 2min of hate is only really effective if you have a reason for hate, unless you are a souless sheeple


You don't tell me if I've got a reason to hate. I'll tell you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4397
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Naib wrote:
Its relevant because it means you are just chanting the popular opinion rather than contributing to it. The daily 2min of hate is only really effective if you have a reason for hate, unless you are a souless sheeple


You don't tell me if I've got a reason to hate. I'll tell you.
but the thing is you haven't. You are taking the populous position of hate which just makes you a sheeple.
And blind hatred without actually seeing what she did or the state of Britain she inherited just screams of ignorance to reality.
_________________
the table is made from wood. forget what you learnt, the table is made from carbon. forget what you learnt, the table is made from protons. forget what you learnt, the table is made from quarks. forget what you learnt, the table is good for shagging on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I've mentioned a great many reasons to dislike Thatcher and made the point that whatever problems there were in the late seventies UK, an extremist "cure" may be worse than the disease. Perhaps you are blind?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4397
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
In fact I've mentioned a great many reasons to dislike Thatcher and made the point that whatever problems there were in the late seventies UK, an extremist "cure" may be worse than the disease. Perhaps you are blind?
the things you mentioned are general policies which to be fair to some degree all gov'n have done. There are actually very few who can actually say they have a hatred for her. Miners, self-employed, the old because when she targeted a section of society she went after them relentlessly. Likewise she did that in EU and secured quite a large number of things for the benefit of Britain.
You are persistently failing to appreciate the complete state the country was left in by the dissolved previous gov'n. Can you imagine living in the UK with 25% inflation? Thats 25% essentially taken off everyone indiscriminately because of poor management by labour OR considerably less taken off by Thatcher as she was trying to sort things out.

She did not just hit the common people, she actually went and raised money to bring wealth into the country as well. Your blind hatred is misplaced and points more towards a collective cognitive imperative driven by others who you have at some point associated with who were directly affected by some of her shorter-lived but harsh policies to correct the significant mismanagement of the economy by Labour
_________________
the table is made from wood. forget what you learnt, the table is made from carbon. forget what you learnt, the table is made from protons. forget what you learnt, the table is made from quarks. forget what you learnt, the table is good for shagging on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
What of the inflation? IMF bailout? Harsh conditions.


...which deserve a reasonable response which attempts to do the most good for the most people.

An oil price hike in the seventies was at the root of economic woes. You might also see a long-term trend of a post-colonial country trying to find its place in a new world. Some kind of contraction was inevitable but the wrong policies can make that worse - like breaking an arm to heal a broken finger. Governments can make good investments as well as bad ones - indeed they have to if there is to be any chance of prosperity - but Thatcher was vehemently, ideologically opposed to using the resources of government to help anyone.

You can, as you say, treat people with compassion by providing resources for re-training and basic needs. Or you can throw them on the scrapheap, blame them for their own poverty and tell them to get on their bike. The usual conservative trick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
There are actually very few who can actually say they have a hatred for her.


No. Anyone with any empathy can.

Naib wrote:
Can you imagine living in the UK with 25% inflation?


Again, merely mentioning some kind of problem isn't an argument for Thatcherism. That's how creationists try to argue with evolution. There were other, better alternatives.

Naib wrote:
She did not just hit the common people, she actually went and raised money to bring wealth into the country as well. Your blind hatred is misplaced and points more towards a collective cognitive imperative driven by others who you have at some point associated with who were directly affected by some of her shorter-lived but harsh policies to correct the significant mismanagement of the economy by Labour


You appear to believe that you have psychic powers. What am I thinking now and why?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Detroit, Michigan - The Home of Rock and Roll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
What am I thinking now and why?


Hold on, let me flip over to MSNBC and find out.
_________________
Freedom is the oxygen of the soul. -Moshe Dayan

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16133
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leftistas don't like her because they don't like being confronted with their ideology of failure.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is epic!
_________________
There is no guarantee a stupid Dalai Lama won’t come next -- Dalai Lama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
needed a better labour party.


That's an oxymoron
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Again, merely mentioning some kind of problem isn't an argument for Thatcherism


Inflation gone bonkers, sickness of the unions, top rate of taxation 98% - that's 'some kind of problem' !?
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's good she's dead. Now we can move on :-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1571
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
@Old School

She really wasn't.

And taking back the Falklands was about the only good thing she did since, in Argentina, it led to the end of a dictatorship and return to democracy.

Learn to punctuate. You need a comma before the "since". (One after the "and" would be good form too, although starting with "and" is highly informal, so who really cares.) The one you're missing between "did" and "since" makes your sentence hard-to-read gibberish and is like waving a a flag that says "uneducated over here!".

I suppose. like blaming the gap between the poor on rich on her, somebody like you would also blame your inability to effectively use the English language on her. After all, you believe an individual's success of failure is the responsibility of the state.
_________________
Deja Moo: the feeling that you've heard this bull before


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London neighborhood throws party, celebrating her death.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gmCeWKMBzOzrDBceVYA_xcLL-fDw?docId=CNG.81a00e7f3e656784805dec4bbd93e3fb.661

Quote:
LONDON — Hundreds of people on Monday took to the main square in Brixton, an area of south London which suffered serious rioting in the 1980s, to celebrate the death of former prime minister Margaret Thatcher.

Holding notices saying "Rejoice -- Thatcher is dead", around 200 people gathered in the neighbourhood, a hotspot of alternative culture, and toasted her passing by drinking and dancing to hip-hop and reggae songs blaring from sound systems.

"I'm very, very pleased. She did so much damage to this country," said one man brandishing an original newspaper billboard from 1990 announcing Thatcher's resignation.
Others scrawled "Good Riddance" on the pavement.

"We've got the bunting out at home," said Clare Truscott, a woman in her 50s wearing a sparkly beret and holding a homemade sign reading "Ding dong, the witch is dead".

"I'm from the north, where there were no jobs, where the industry was rapidly disappearing, and her policies ensured it went more quickly."

Brixton was the scene of fierce riots in 1981, two years after Thatcher became prime minister.

Carole Roper, a full-time carer in her 50s from north London, said: "We're here to celebrate her death."

_________________
There is no guarantee a stupid Dalai Lama won’t come next -- Dalai Lama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
You don't tell me if I've got a reason to hate. I'll tell you.

You shouldn't hate. It's unhealthy for both you and society.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1571
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
You don't tell me if I've got a reason to hate. I'll tell you.

You shouldn't hate. It's unhealthy for both you and society.

If you don't feel your hate, you can't have any hive mind. How can you have any hive-mind, if you don't feel your hate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5diMImYIIA
_________________
Deja Moo: the feeling that you've heard this bull before


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
btw, when hugo chavez died, woah, our conservatives showed so much respect!!!


Not sure about the conservatives, but I was glad when that disgusting little tyrannical thief died. I was also quite glad when that drunk driving murderous son-of-a-bootlegger, Ted Kennedy, died.


IMO you can be glad and even post it here, but you can't dissemble and you have to accept that others are glad when somebody like the Thatcher cunt dies without talking trash about "leftish hate" (I know you didn't in this thread, and sorry for calling you a conservative :) )

Quote:
I still think it's good she's dead. Now we can move on :-)

haha yes, it's a shame that this thread has so many contributors while other way more interesting threads have no contributors at all, but maybe we need to be talk about promis/politicians sometimes like all other week individuals sometime... :roll:
_________________
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six British police injured at Thatcher death party

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gMalhiETxnkdfBKk89jX32xIVaGA?docId=CNG.f9f09243a6940fbe7c910e5652832dae.c1

Quote:
LONDON — Six British police officers were injured, one of them seriously, as they tried to break up a street party apparently celebrating the death of ex-prime minister Margaret Thatcher, police said Tuesday.

_________________
There is no guarantee a stupid Dalai Lama won’t come next -- Dalai Lama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1571
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of celebrations at the death of anyone before. I don't think we even had them when Stalin or Mao died.

I think this is yet another manifestation of the learned helplessness and atavistic mob mentality engendered by socialist demagoguery.

Rather embarrassing for Britain, I'd say, and in general, for the supposedly enlightened and civilized West. What kind of animals are we becoming? Brutish proles.
_________________
Deja Moo: the feeling that you've heard this bull before


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum