[SOLVED] DISTCC only connects to localhost
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsyGhost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] DISTCC only connects to localhost Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo from an existing Sabayon Linux installation.
Before booting Gentoo for the first time, I wish to install all required packages. I also wish to use distcc in order to distribute the compilation. I have 2 machines, both running the latest version of Sabayon Linux. In one of them I'm preforming the Gentoo installation.
On the machine which preforms the Gentoo installation I chrooted into the Gentoo environment and installed distcc.
I also installed and ran distccd in both Sabayon installations (The chroot environment doesn't run distccd, the "real" OS does).
Looking at distccmon-text I can see that distcc only distribute tasks to the localhost (which is supposed to be the "real" Sabayon installation). It never distribute tasks to the other machine.

Things that I checked:

1. /etc/distcc/hosts inside the chrooted environment contains only the address of the other machine.
2. Running distcc-config --get-hosts inside the chrooted environments confirms the above.
3. Firewall on the other machine is turned off, and it can be pinged from inside the chrooted environment.
4. --allow flag is set correct in the other machine. distccd log level is set to debug
5. Looking at the syslog in the other machine suggests that it distccd was never contacted from the Gentoo environment.
6. Both machines have the same architecture, and the Sabayon installations have the same version of GCC as the Gentoo chroot environment
7. The other machine can be pinged from inside the Gentoo chroot environment.
8. distccmon-text shows only "localhost" and "blocked" jobs
9. MAKEOPTS -j is set to the sum of CPUs in both machines
10. DISTCC_VERBOSE=1 is set inside the chrooted environment, but distcc client also shows no sign of distributing the task to the other machine.

Last edited by PsyGhost on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
PsyGhost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to solve this. It turns out that if -march=native is defined in make.conf, distcc will only be able to compile locally. Setting -march to my actual CPU solved it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: