xorg.server problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duskye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: xorg.server problem Reply with quote

so I've been trying to install xorg.server and was finally done, and after doing env-update and source /etc/profile, I startx.

I got a no screens found error.

I'm not exactly sure what to post because I'm very,very new to gentoo and surprised I got this far, so please help a newb out.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to gentoo!

We can't really say much without knowing what when wrong. When you ran Xorg, it should also have displayed the path to its log. It should be in /var/logs/Xorg.0.log or something. First, emerge wgetpaste then do wgetpaste </path/to/log> and post the url returned.

Configuring Xorg properly can take some time. You may find this helpful.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot gentoo minimal cd or sysresccd, mount the gentoo partitions, run
Code:
 lspci -k | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux/.config
post the urls returned
do you wish to run open source or proprietary video card drivers (usually better 3d support)?

reference: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
Duskye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the repllies, I was able to finally get everything sorted and are now compiling things to complete the installion, I just need help with one more thing, installing my wifi.

To know knowledge my wifi is rtl8192. I have problems in the past with Debian with it, had a friend ssh into it and fix it for me because I was stumped for a whole day.

I'm not entirely sure the process on how to install it, I've read the wifi part of the doc, and read some threads, but I'm baffled.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duskye wrote:
Thanks for the repllies, I was able to finally get everything sorted and are now compiling things to complete the installion, I just need help with one more thing, installing my wifi.

To know knowledge my wifi is rtl8192. I have problems in the past with Debian with it, had a friend ssh into it and fix it for me because I was stumped for a whole day.

I'm not entirely sure the process on how to install it, I've read the wifi part of the doc, and read some threads, but I'm baffled.

for any wireless, you need:

-appropriate kernel settings
-firmware
-the userspace tools that make it connect (wpa_supplicant, and so forth, and optionally a graphical configuration tool like wicd or networkmanager or wpa_gui)

thus:
-if you have the appropriate driver selected in the kernel (there are numerous permutations of rtl8192)
-and you have emerged the appropriate firmware for your card (emerge linux-firmware)
-and you have emerged wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd

then it's a simple matter of configuration; start with configuring your wireless interface in /etc/conf.d/net (per the wireless section in the handbook). Once you have that working, you can graduate to getting the graphical tools working, BUT, if you start with the more manual tools it is vastly easier to troubleshoot if something is configured incorrectly, than trying to figure out some opaque message from a GUI that says nothing more than "Connection Failed!"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: