Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
AMDFX-8350+ASUSM5A97R2 MemoryCompatibility(SolvedNotClosed)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Memory Installed

I checked on G. Skill's web page and used their memory finder to recommend 32GB of my memory for my mob.
They recommended: RipjawsZ ] F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4)

I emailed their tech support asking if that would work on my mob with my cpu. They answered that it would work "flawlessly."

I purchased this memory and installed it and it does indeed appear to work flawlessly.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this topic. I have learnt a great deal from it.

Yet I am still very confused about the whole thing. (For ex memory rank is very important in performance, yet it is not clear from memory spec tables, what rank a particular memory has.)

The big question to me is this" When picking parts to build a new PC, I start with the CPU and seek an mob and memory to go with it. How does one do this in such a way That everything "just works."

I suppose that my advice is practical rather than theoretical. Since the mob manufacturer looses nothing if you RMA memory, get the memory manufacturers to recommend memory for the mob instead.

A final comment: While my system was largely stable, it was prone to crashing when I was running vmware player. I completely cured this behaviour by replacing "-march=native"
with "-mtune=generic" Curiously, this makes only the slightest and most insignificant of difference in performance, with one exception: Programs emerge notably faster now (10% I estimate) probably because gcc has less work to do. (I also switched my cpu type in the kernel to Processor family (Generic-x86-64) instead of using the patched kernel that supported piledriver)
Since I have spent well over a decade fussing over the best CFLAGS to use with a particular CPU, this heretical discovery has been a real shocker to me.
Programs can still use the full instruction set of the cpu as I have set the appropriated USE flags for that purpose.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: