Help with help on Mutt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Help with help on Mutt Reply with quote

Dear all, I am quite sure there are some mutt geeks out there. I have been using it for some time, and I really want to tweak it well. However, I am missing some aspects and google does not give me the answers. I have not found a proper mutt forum, and I have never been an expert with channels or maillists. What is the best way to ask particular questions related with Mutt?

In particular, what I have in mind is to show the answer in the compose section, instead of the line
"- I 1 /tmp/mutt-jesus-1001-26190-6924694811087 [text/plain, 7bit, utf-8, 0.5K]"

I would appreciate an answer to both, questions (the general help and the particular one), but specially to the first one.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mutt-users list, http://www.mutt.org/mail-lists.html. mutt-dev is also an interesting place to hang out.

I don't really understand your second question. The line you posted looks vaguely like an attachment description.
carlosp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the description. When I am about to send an email (just before typing "y") I get the info

Code:

To: forum-mods@gentoo.org
           Cc:
          Bcc:
      Subject: Re: Topic Reply Notification - Help with help on Mutt
     Reply-To:
          Fcc: Sent Mail
     Security: None

-- Attachments
 - I     1 /tmp/mutt-jesus-1001-4136-17784782306749[text/plain, 7bit, u

where, what I wrote, is inside "/tmp/mutt-jesus-1001-4136-17784782306749". I would rather like to see the content of this file, instead of the information at this stage.

Thanks a lot Princess Nell, I will go to the mail list.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosp wrote:
[...] where, what I wrote, is inside "/tmp/mutt-jesus-1001-4136-17784782306749". I would rather like to see the content of this file, instead of the information at this stage.

carlosp ... the 'content' is what you've entered when in the editor, and once the message is saved your in the 'compose' menu, if you need to re-edit, hit 'e' (or 'return' if the item is selected). The compose menu does not display the message, just the headers, attatchements, etc, this is because the compose menu serves the function of composing the email itself (not the content) so To: Cc:, Bcc:, Reply-to:, gpg-encryption, etc, etc. Similarly, in the 'pager' you do not have access to change the content of the message, only view, until you hit 'r' (reply) and the message is opened it whatever application you have set as editor.

HTH & best ... khay
carlosp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot khayyam.

Indeed, it would just be nice to have a view of the message altogether just before sending. Being Mutt so flexible, I guess there must be a way. Or is there a deep reason why it would not be possible? It would be good to have a view, as if one was reading received mail.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosp wrote:
Thanks a lot khayyam.

carlosp ... you're welcome.

carlosp wrote:
Indeed, it would just be nice to have a view of the message altogether just before sending. Being Mutt so flexible, I guess there must be a way. Or is there a deep reason why it would not be possible? It would be good to have a view, as if one was reading received mail.

To my knowledge (and I have been using mutt for many, many, years) there is no way to change the compose menu to show the message body, the reason being that the compose menu is for composing the mail itself the content is just part of the 'mail', remember its MIME and so it could be anything, ie, gpg encypted, or any number of files, ie, gpg signatures, MIME attatchments, etc. Also, mutt is designed to be modular and streamlined, the compose menu focuses just on those parts which define it as an email, the headers, attatchments, etc, other components/menu's focus on other specific functions, paging, editing, address management, etc. The modularity means that other components can be plugged into the framework, ie, abook for address management, $EDITOR for the message body, etc. So, the compose menu is not for display, its simply for composing the mail.

Perhaps there is some method to do this that I'm unaware of ... but I'm fairly sure its not some config option that I've since overlooked.

best ... khay
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosp wrote:
Indeed, it would just be nice to have a view of the message altogether just before sending.

It is nice to see some mutt-gentoo users! If I am unsure about the message I have just written (or if I am sending the right attachment), I just press 'enter' (view the attachment); although I imagine you probably already know.

Cheers!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: