EFI Gentoo Install Problems With GRUB2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideanl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: EFI Gentoo Install Problems With GRUB2 Reply with quote

I am a n00b with no experience with UEFI computers. I'm attempting to install Gentoo on a UEFI computer with an AMD Radeon HD 7770. At first, I needed to boot the live disc in UEFI mode so I installed GRUB2 on a usb flashdrive formatted to FAT32. Following that I boot into the flash drive in UEFI mode and boot the linux kernel from the GRUB2 command line. I do the command "insmod efi_gop" in order to have it not boot blindly and hang. When Gentoo is starting, my boot hangs at the following error: "fb conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb vs. EFI vga - removing generic driver". I haven't found a way to get past this error. Am i doing all the steps correctly? Sorry if this question has been answered in another post I couldn't find it anywhere.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the livecd image is missing firmware for that card. How old is the CD?
ideanl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created the CD yesterday. I fixed the problem by making the radeon graphics driver a module instead of built into the kernel. Now the problem is the boot hangs at "Waiting for uevents to be processed ..."
lariano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently have successfully installed gentoo on an uefi computer following the concept presented here : http://xtothei.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/gentoo-uefi/

As far as I know gentoo currently doesn't offer a live cd bootable from uefi but you can use any other linux distribution to start a gentoo installation. I have used the live cd from ubuntu 12.10 (amd64) but fedora should work as well. The only precondition is that the live cd must offer the possibility of chroot. So you can follow the usual gentoo installation guide with a few modifcations explained in the above post.
ideanl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This problem has been fixed. The other issue I am dealing with right now are at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-955826-highlight-.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: