View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sipingal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched to systemd. I was facing the same issue. The USE flag gudev is not enabled in systemd, but sys-fs/udev and virtual/udev. To solve this issue, we have to add this USE flag to systemd.

Currently the systemd doesn't support static-libs, we should remove the static-libs from virtual/udev. You may encounter it as well.

For others conflictions, just like pacho2 said, remove them and two more: gnome-panel and gnome-applet.

Last edited by sipingal on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
pacho2
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks strange to me, how are you enabling gudev? For some packages only in package.use? If you are using desktop profiles this should work by default as it has this entry:
# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> (19 Dec 2010)
# Required by udev helpers like udisks and upower
sys-apps/systemd gudev introspection keymap
sys-fs/eudev gudev hwdb introspection keymap
>=sys-fs/udev-171 gudev hwdb introspection keymap
>=virtual/udev-171 gudev hwdb introspection keymap

in its package.use
sipingal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the parent 13.0 and just place them in its package.use

Code:
$ eselect profile  show
Current /etc/make.profile symlink:
  default/linux/amd64/13.0

Code:
$ grep -ir gudev /etc/portage/{make.conf,package.use}
[/etc/portage/package.use:sys-fs/udev hwdb gudev
/etc/portage/package.use:virtual/udev gudev hwdb
/etc/portage/package.use:sys-apps/systemd acl filecaps firmware-loader introspection kmod pam python tcpd xattr -audit -cryptsetup -doc -gcrypt gudev -http -lzma -openrc policykit -qrcode -selinux -test -vanilla
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacho2 wrote:

What exact change did you do? I guess "gudev" USE was set differently in sys-fs/udev, sys-apps/systemd and virtual/udev?
I added the following line to /etc/portage/package.use:
Code:
=sys-apps/systemd-206 gudev
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have needed 2 days for systemd and gnome 3.8. Now it works, including network and I can using squid. Totem not. It needs the h264 plugin or O2/VP6 Flasch.

For squid I've created a simple squid.services. It works well. My pdnsd DNS server did not work with a simple xxx.services.

It seems I have to learn a lot about systemd. 8)

gdm does not start so fast. I have the service in the multiuser level.
How can I set gdm so it starts earlier?

Ma
pacho2
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena wrote:
pacho2 wrote:

What exact change did you do? I guess "gudev" USE was set differently in sys-fs/udev, sys-apps/systemd and virtual/udev?
I added the following line to /etc/portage/package.use:
Code:
=sys-apps/systemd-206 gudev

Please use ">=" instead of "=" or you will get the problem again in next bump

Marlo wrote:
I have needed 2 days for systemd and gnome 3.8. Now it works, including network and I can using squid. Totem not. It needs the h264 plugin or O2/VP6 Flasch.

For squid I've created a simple squid.services. It works well. My pdnsd DNS server did not work with a simple xxx.services.

It seems I have to learn a lot about systemd. 8)

gdm does not start so fast. I have the service in the multiuser level.
How can I set gdm so it starts earlier?

Ma

Regarding missing .service files, please read:
http://my.opera.com/pacho/blog/2013/07/24/gnome-3-8-requiring-systemd-on-gentoo

about how to help us provide them

About when gdm is started -> we are using upstream service file that simply indicates systemd after what services need to be started, apart of that, systemd decides when to start it :/
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic: I managed to resolve further (KDE) blockers by forcing -consolekit onto both bluez and kdm packages
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a few hours with multiple bash 1liners to whittle out additional things pulling in gnome deps BUT system is now free and no forced upgrade with sysd.

now just need the cinnamon ebuild to be sorted so I can use that again
ggeeoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we have virtual/service-manager which is part of @system. If you have systemd installed then it will satisfy the dependency of virtual/service-manager and portage will propose to remove sys-apps/openrc and sys-apps/sysvinit. I think removing those packages is a bad idea. Both provide utilities that are used by other parts of the system (see bugs 399615 and 373219). So be careful people.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Took a few hours with multiple bash 1liners to whittle out additional things pulling in gnome deps BUT system is now free and no forced upgrade with sysd.

I wonder how you managed to avoid systemd. It is clear to me that systemd introduction into Gentoo is far from finished, so I would be more than happy to continue using openrc and sysvinit while things settle a bit more… 8)
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer a gnome lock screen bug on systemd >204 (same as: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167318)

Downgrading from 206->204 seemed to solve it for me.
Lost in android development land.
pacho2
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
I suffer a gnome lock screen bug on systemd >204 (same as: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167318)

Downgrading from 206->204 seemed to solve it for me.

It's https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=477954
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena wrote:
Naib wrote:

I wonder how you managed to avoid systemd. It is clear to me that systemd introduction into Gentoo is far from finished, so I would be more than happy to continue using openrc and sysvinit while things settle a bit more… 8)

using openbox and a few other things. AT some point maybe sysd will be required BUT its perpetual linkage throughout the system needs to be stopped - its at the very least causing a major rebuild issue for a minor sysd bump, at the most a nasty security single point:

Code:

equery h systemd
 * Searching for USE flag systemd ...
[IP-] [  ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.16.3:0
[IP-] [  ] media-sound/pulseaudio-4.0:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-apps/busybox-1.21.0:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-apps/dbus-1.6.12:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-auth/polkit-0.111:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-boot/plymouth-0.8.8-r1:0
[IP-] [  ] sys-fs/udisks-2.1.0:2

Why does an init system need interfacing with a sound system, a virtual filesystem, account authentication...
Thats just what I have installed which could be hooked into sysd. looking at the tree...

Code:

quse systemd
use: Updating ebuild cache ...
use: Finished 35174 entries in 1.112040 seconds
app-admin/openrc-settingsd/openrc-settingsd-1.0.1.ebuild systemd
app-backup/amanda/amanda-3.3.3.ebuild curl gnuplot ipv6 kerberos minimal nls readline s3 samba systemd xfs
app-laptop/thinkfan/thinkfan-0.9_beta2.ebuild atasmart systemd
dev-libs/weston/weston-1.2.0-r1.ebuild colord +drm +egl editor examples fbdev gles2 headless +opengl rdp +resize-optimization rpi static-libs +suid systemd tablet test unwind view wayland-compositor +X xwayland
gnome-base/gdm/gdm-3.6.2-r1.ebuild accessibility audit +consolekit +fallback fprint +gnome-shell +introspection ipv6 ldap plymouth selinux smartcard systemd tcpd test xinerama
gnome-base/gdm/gdm-3.6.2.ebuild accessibility audit +consolekit +fallback fprint +gnome-shell +introspection ipv6 ldap plymouth selinux smartcard systemd tcpd test xinerama
gnome-base/gdm/gdm-3.8.0.ebuild accessibility audit +consolekit +fallback fprint +gnome-shell +introspection ipv6 ldap plymouth selinux smartcard systemd tcpd test xinerama
gnome-base/gnome-control-center/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1.ebuild +bluetooth +colord +cups +gnome-online-accounts +i18n input_devices_wacom kerberos +networkmanager +socialweb systemd v4l
gnome-base/gnome-session/gnome-session-3.6.2-r2.ebuild doc elibc_FreeBSD gconf ipv6 systemd
gnome-base/gnome-session/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1.ebuild doc elibc_FreeBSD gconf ipv6 systemd
gnome-base/gnome-session/gnome-session-3.8.2.1.ebuild doc elibc_FreeBSD gconf ipv6 systemd
gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon-3.6.4.ebuild +colord +cups debug +i18n input_devices_wacom packagekit policykit +short-touchpad-timeout smartcard systemd +udev
gnome-base/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-3.6.3.1.ebuild +bluetooth +i18n +networkmanager systemd
gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.14.2.ebuild afp archive avahi bluetooth bluray cdda doc fuse gdu gnome-keyring gphoto2 gtk +http ios samba systemd +udev udisks
gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.16.2.ebuild afp archive avahi bluetooth bluray cdda fuse gdu gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gphoto2 gtk +http mtp ios samba systemd test +udev udisks
gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.16.3.ebuild afp archive avahi bluetooth bluray cdda fuse gdu gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gphoto2 gtk +http mtp ios samba systemd test +udev udisks
gnome-extra/gnome-packagekit/gnome-packagekit-3.6.1-r1.ebuild nls systemd test udev
gnome-extra/gnome-packagekit/gnome-packagekit-3.6.2.ebuild nls systemd test udev
gnome-extra/gnome-screensaver/gnome-screensaver-3.6.1.ebuild debug doc pam systemd
gnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor/gnome-system-monitor-3.6.1.ebuild systemd
gnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor/gnome-system-monitor-3.8.2.1.ebuild systemd
media-sound/pulseaudio/pulseaudio-2.1-r1.ebuild +alsa avahi +caps equalizer jack lirc oss tcpd +X dbus libsamplerate gnome bluetooth +asyncns +glib gtk test doc +udev ipv6 system-wide realtime +orc ssl +gdbm +webrtc-aec xen systemd
net-misc/aiccu/aiccu-2007.01.15-r4.ebuild systemd
net-misc/networkmanager/networkmanager-0.9.6.4-r1.ebuild avahi bluetooth connection-sharing +consolekit dhclient +dhcpcd doc gnutls +introspection kernel_linux +nss modemmanager +ppp resolvconf systemd vala +wext wimax
net-p2p/transmission/transmission-2.81.ebuild ayatana gtk lightweight systemd qt4 xfs
sys-apps/accountsservice/accountsservice-0.6.29-r1.ebuild doc +introspection systemd vala
sys-apps/accountsservice/accountsservice-0.6.30.ebuild doc +introspection systemd vala
sys-apps/accountsservice/accountsservice-0.6.34.ebuild doc +introspection systemd vala
sys-apps/busybox/busybox-1.20.2.ebuild ipv6 livecd make-symlinks math mdev -pam selinux sep-usr +static systemd
sys-apps/busybox/busybox-1.21.0.ebuild ipv6 livecd make-symlinks math mdev -pam selinux sep-usr +static syslog systemd
sys-apps/busybox/busybox-9999.ebuild ipv6 livecd make-symlinks math mdev -pam selinux sep-usr +static syslog systemd
sys-apps/dbus/dbus-1.6.10.ebuild debug doc selinux static-libs systemd test X
sys-apps/dbus/dbus-1.6.12.ebuild debug doc selinux static-libs systemd test X
sys-apps/dbus/dbus-1.6.8-r1.ebuild debug doc selinux static-libs systemd test X
sys-apps/gnome-disk-utility/gnome-disk-utility-3.8.2.ebuild fat +gnome systemd
sys-apps/udevil/udevil-0.3.6.ebuild systemd
sys-apps/udevil/udevil-0.4.0.ebuild systemd
sys-apps/udevil/udevil-0.4.1.ebuild systemd
sys-auth/pambase/pambase-20120417-r1.ebuild consolekit cracklib debug gnome-keyring minimal mktemp pam_krb5 pam_ssh passwdqc selinux +sha512 systemd
sys-auth/pambase/pambase-20120417-r2.ebuild consolekit cracklib debug gnome-keyring minimal mktemp pam_krb5 pam_ssh passwdqc selinux +sha512 systemd
sys-auth/polkit/polkit-0.110.ebuild examples gtk +introspection kde nls pam selinux systemd
sys-auth/polkit/polkit-0.111.ebuild examples gtk +introspection kde nls pam selinux systemd
sys-boot/plymouth/plymouth-0.8.8-r1.ebuild ${IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS} debug gdm +gtk +libkms +openrc +pango static-libs systemd
sys-boot/plymouth/plymouth-0.8.8.ebuild ${IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS} debug gdm +gtk +libkms +openrc +pango static-libs systemd
sys-fs/udisks/udisks-2.1.0.ebuild debug cryptsetup +gptfdisk +introspection selinux systemd
sys-power/upower/upower-0.9.20-r2.ebuild +deprecated doc +introspection ios kernel_FreeBSD kernel_linux systemd
sys-power/upower/upower-0.9.21.ebuild doc +introspection ios kernel_FreeBSD kernel_linux systemd
x11-misc/colord/colord-0.1.28.ebuild doc examples extra-print-profiles +gusb +introspection systemd +udev vala
x11-misc/colord/colord-0.1.31.ebuild examples extra-print-profiles +gusb +introspection scanner systemd +udev vala
x11-misc/colord/colord-0.1.34.ebuild examples extra-print-profiles +gusb +introspection scanner systemd +udev vala
xfce-base/xfce4-session/xfce4-session-4.10.1.ebuild debug systemd udev +xscreensaver

ok a few different versions, but still... desktop service, desktop managers, window managers, torrents...
scott45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitofik wrote:
@ggeeoo
so using the file you linked i could do

Code:

awk -vRS= '/Gnome 3.8 Mask/' /the/file/you/linked.mask > /etc/portage/package.mask/Gnome3.8

and stay with gnome 3.6, without systemd?

EDIT: tried it and yes, it works just like that. yay!

I tried this too and now when I start gdm I get the "oops something went wrong" message in Gnome which says all extensions are disabled, but all I can do is log out of Gnome. I can log into Gnome as root just fine, but not as user. I even created a new user and got the same error message.

It seems like not that long ago we just changed from sysinitv to openRC, now we are changing again to systemd? Why can't we just pick something and stick with it? I was already near the breaking point with Gnome 3, this may be the final blow.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D somehow my first succesful systemd boot happened! Let's wait and see how I like it
james.h.bates
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkraav wrote:
mehhhhhhhhhh http://my.opera.com/pacho/blog/2013/07/24/gnome-3-8-requiring-systemd-on-gentoo

My personal workaround: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-966260.html
vlynd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for crossing, but is networkmanager mandatory with gnome 3.8? I would like to keep away from that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: