Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Upgrading to 2.6.1 (g-d-s) experiences (ASUS, SCSI, PnP)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hank scorpio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Upgrading to 2.6.1 (g-d-s) experiences (ASUS, SCSI, PnP) Reply with quote

I just finished getting onto the latest 2.6.1 kernel but not without a few problems, I thought I'd post in case someone else is having the same or thinking about it.

For reference, this system: P4 2.8 (800fsb) on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, LSI U160 SCSI controller, 2 Seagate U160 Barracudas.

The first thing I did was "rc-update del alsadriver" since ALSA is supported in the 2.6.1 kernel directly.

"emerge gentoo-dev-sources"
"make gconfig"

(1) Power (APM or ACPI?) - I chose both but found out later (look in dmesg) that ACPI will force APM to disable itself. So don't select APM if you have ACPI turned on in your BIOS.

(2) Plug and Play - This killed me for a while. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the Mobo, I'm not sure but I ALWAYS got a "general protection fault [#1]" followed by "Bad EIC Value" (or something similar) if I built the kernel with Plug and Play enabled. So, disable this in your BIOS and choose "N" for PnP in the kernel config.

(3) Kernel Panic - no root device, etc. etc. - for some reason I thought I had an Adaptec controller so after the IDE drivers loaded, I would get this familar problem. I mention it here just to reiterate that if you are getting this message, then you definitely do NOT have the right device or file-system driver BUILT INTO THE KERNEL.

(4) ALSA - I use both the on-board 6.1 AC97 chip as well as a Creative Audigy - simply select both the Intel 8x0 and EMU101k drivers. Setting up your config file is another matter, but it's definitely doable.

(5) Dev FS - I forgot this one and after everything booted up Gentoo warmly reminded me that Dev FS was quite necessary and I had better rebuild the kernel. Of course, at this point X won't start so I opened .config in nano and manually turned it on (it's towards the end of the file systems after the USB stuff.)

(6) No X - Couldn't find my nvidia drivers... Oh right, re-emerge them right? Nope. Well, yes, but in doing so I noticed that they were being stuffed into /lib/modules/kernel-2.4.22-whatever and not 2.6.1. This took a while to figure out but in case you haven't guessed you need to re-create the /usr/src/linux link to point to the 2.6.1 sources,I did this:

/usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-beta -> /usr/src/llinux-2.6.1-gentoo

the linux-beta softy is already there...

Anyhow, now emerging the nvidia kernel and glx worked fine.

(7) Network - if you've already got gentoo on this motherboard then you probably had a hell of a time getting this gigabit driver installed b/c I sure did. Just remember that you want the SysKonnect SK98LIN driver (under the 1000MBit list)

So that was it, everything is humming along now and personally, the system seems faster and more responsive.

Hope this helps.

h/s
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: