Verify Blocks Being Marked For Reuse in FS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Verify Blocks Being Marked For Reuse in FS Reply with quote

How could I verify that blocks are actually being marked for reuse in my filesystem?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about TRIM support on SSD or just filesystem marking blocks freed in general?

If it's the former, make sure you're using a filesystem that supports TRIM, and check dmesg output from bootup and make sure the right things are showing up for hard drive controller support (sorry I haven't worked with TRIM so i'm not directly familiar)

If it's the latter, df should indicate more free blocks after doing a remove. The main cause for something not being freed after deletion is the file is still in use (linux differs from windows in that files can be deleted while still open by a program - it is immediately unlinked from the directory listing and the actual file delete occurs on close).

Another possibility for free space not being reclaimed is filesystem corruption. Particularly on FAT filesystems, it's very easy to get phantom space usage after file deletion if the device is removed before properly unmounting (the directory tree is updated with the file removal but the FAT isn't and the space is still allocated in there). Easiest way to fix is copying files off and reformatting, and moving files back on. If that isn't practical there's fsck.msdos that will probably dump those extra chains to recovered files which you can delete.

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: