Peculiar brightness behaviour after kernel upgrade [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zvonimir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Peculiar brightness behaviour after kernel upgrade [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello!

I am starting to explore Gentoo. Recently, after upgrading my kernel from the 3.3.8 version to the 3.10.7 one, I came across a problem with brightness during boot. My Gentoo system runs on Acer Aspire One D270, with Intel Atom N2600 processor and integrated Intel GMA 3600 graphics processing unit. I am using Fluxbox as window manager and SLiM as login manager.

Right after I press the power button, the brightness value resets to maximum 100. So I created the (executable) file named "brightness.start" (containing the command 'setpci -s "00:02.0" F4.B=5') in /etc/local.d/, to automatically lower the brightness during boot.

In the 3.3.8-kernel the brightness did indeed reduce from maximum value 100 to value 5. And this value always stayed unchanged after the login.

In the 3.10.7-kernel, however, the value drops from 100 to 5 after initscript "local" initializes (just like in the 3.3.8 kernel), but right before the SLiM login screen appears, the brightness value changes back to maximal 100. At that point, there is no visible output on my screen, so I don't know what resets the brightness value back to maximum.

I checked the SLiM config file, but didn't find anything that could (in my opinion) influence the brightness value.

Does anybody have an idea what could it be and how could I fix this inconvenience? Could it be that the newer kernel version controls my monitor brightness differently? I searched this forum and some other places for a solution that could help me, but to no avail.

Any suggestions (regarding the solution to the problem or about additional information I should give to clarify my problem) are very welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by Zvonimir on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the kernel has gained support for your backlight in the meantime? If CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO and CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE are enabled in the kernel, check if you can control the backlight via /sys/class/backlight/.
Zvonimir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply chithanh.

chithanh wrote:
Maybe the kernel has gained support for your backlight in the meantime?

This certainly appears to be true. Do you know maybe how I could check this?

As one rather simple example, in the previous kernel version, I manually linked the "Fn+Left" and "Fn+Right" button combinations to a script that increases/decreases backlight (because there was no combination I could press on the keyboard to do that). The new kernel sets this up by default (so I had to remove my key bindings, to avoid redundancy which caused some strange effects). So, in short, something is definitely different in the way the two kernel versions control my backlight (and keyboard).

chithanh wrote:
If CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO and CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE are enabled in the kernel, check if you can control the backlight via /sys/class/backlight/.

CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO and CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE are enabled in both kernel versions, and also in both, I can control the backlight by, for example, typing 'echo 5 > /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness' as root.

To track down the reason for the automatic increase of backlight value just before the SLiM login window, I also checked the initscripts I have enabled, but didn't find anything that I would recognize as a backlight controling parameter. Since I lack experience with Gentoo, I would like to ask you, whether some of the initscripts from the list might be responsible for the backlight intensity increase (acpid and xdm look like suspects to me, but like I said, I didn't find anything).

Code:

# rc-update show
            acpid |      default                 
            alsasound | boot                         
            bootmisc | boot                         
            devfs |                       sysinit
            dmesg |                       sysinit
            fsck | boot                         
            hostname | boot                         
            hwclock | boot                         
            keymaps | boot                         
            killprocs |              shutdown       
            local | boot                         
            localmount | boot                         
            modules | boot                         
            mount-ro |              shutdown       
            mtab | boot                         
            net.lo | boot                         
            net.wlan0 |      default                 
            netmount |      default                 
            procfs | boot                         
            root | boot                         
            savecache |              shutdown       
            swap | boot                         
            swapfiles | boot                         
            sysctl | boot                         
            sysfs |                       sysinit
            syslog-ng |      default                 
            termencoding | boot                         
            tmpfiles.setup | boot                         
            udev |                       sysinit
            udev-mount |                       sysinit
            urandom | boot                         
            xdm |      default                 

chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be that the kernel stores the backlight state somewhere and starting X triggers a write of that state to the PCI register.

Does the change in brightness also happen if you don't use setpci but /sys/class/backlight instead to set the initial brightness?
Zvonimir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
I could be that the kernel stores the backlight state somewhere and starting X triggers a write of that state to the PCI register.

Exactly.

chithanh wrote:
Does the change in brightness also happen if you don't use setpci but /sys/class/backlight instead to set the initial brightness?

In order to automatically lower backlight during boot time, I created the file /etc/local.d/brightness.start following instructions from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4 and put the following line in this file

Code:
setpci -s "00:02.0" F4.B=5

Following your advice, I replaced that line with

Code:
echo 5 > /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness

and the backlight value lowered to 5 as planned and didn't change afterwards during boot. The problem is solved.

I guess the problem occurred due exactly to the thing you pointed out above. Namely, setpci changes backlight, but doesn't change the value in /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness (i.e. this value stays maximal) and when X loads, it looks in /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness for backlight value and brings it back to maximum (so it seems). Somehow, setpci -s "00:02.0" F4.B=5 and /sys/class/backlight/psb-bl/brightness do not depend on each other, but control the same thing. Gives me something to read about.

chithanh, thank you very much for your help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: