Setting up programming environment in Gentoo Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Setting up programming environment in Gentoo Linux Reply with quote

I need to set up some programming environment in Gentoo Linux. On my desktop computer since I have nothing else. I am going to teach my self a programming from the ground up. Since I need it and I am not the type go into school to learn it.

What do I need to setup in Gentoo Linux to program?

I should be able to find online documents rather easy. It is just question about time that I am going to take into this to learn how to program what I need to.

Thanks for the help.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Gentoo system comes with a C(++) compiler (gcc), a Python interpreter and a code editor (usually nano). So just by installing Gentoo you will have those tools.

Thereare numerous online resources for beginners for both languages. Just Google "C tutorial" or "C++ tutorial" or "Python tutorial".

That said, C(++) take quite some time to master due to subtleties of memory management, and it may be worthwhile to buy a book to learn these.

Good luck.
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfr wrote:
Since I need it

Indeed as Hypnos says there are those languages already available, just use google and read about the various languages, so you can decide what language you want to start using.
Since you actually say "you need it" (rather then "I will just want to try a bit here and there") this will most probably depend on what you need it for.

There are many "more graphical" editors with extra functionality for for example python:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
I used Eclipse for a while, but for small programs/scripts usually just a text editor (nano).

Alex.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend topics in C programming as soon as you have gained some basic knowledge.

I desperately searched for good C programming material and although there are good books like C - a modern approach I'm only satisfied with the book above, because C is a small language and easy in the sense that it has "only" arrays, pointers and structs, which are quite easy to "understand" but to work with them and to become an advanced C-programmer is very hard (at least for me). Many books doesn't cover the C-libraries as good as topics in C-programming IMO.

Moreover if you want to do system-programming on unix/linux then the above book is great (at least as far as I know and for my level).
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: