View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she learns something from the experience and acknowledges her own fault (being a PC Brigade Feminazi and a collectivist, herd-stampeding bully). Something tells me, though, that she'll just rationalize and find a way to blame this on white males (the white males she harassed with her twitter lemming stampede, the white males who run the corporation she works for, the white males who ran the conference, the white males in her Ancestry.com page...
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I couldn't really glean from the article: Did she record what these guys said, did the guys admit to the accusations, or on what basis did their company fire them? I mean, anyone can take a photo of random people anywhere, post them on the net and say that they made "inappropriate jokes" or similar stuff.
Now it's time for the harvest
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
What I couldn't really glean from the article: Did she record what these guys said

No. But the guys don't deny that they were making a private joke among themselves. She had no business listening in, much less putting their picture on the internet without permission and insulting them.

Quote:
on what basis did their company fire them?

Femitwerp offended. Therefore male programmer is kicked out.

Quote:
I mean, anyone can take a photo of random people anywhere, post them on the net and say that they made "inappropriate jokes" or similar stuff.

They can. But they shouldn't. She was only believed because she is one of these "empowered tech women" in a male-dominated field or whatever.

And to be honest, her job description was to be an "evangelist" for Send Grid. With this kerfuffle, she spectacularly failed at her job. That is reason enough to fire her.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
http://imgur.com/qgnZbJp

Check out this gem: https://twitter.com/adriarichards/statuses/6039856858
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
notageek wrote:
Okay, how many of you, you think, are going to be fired if your employer finds out about OTW.

Not me.
lol @ dup
My thread title was far more informative than yours and had the right quotation too. Which elicited more response than your thread.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you're a brown male from a third world country, so you get discriminated against. :P
Not the first time, either.
Now it's time for the harvest
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:
Thats the problem atm in US employment, sexism is taken /really/ seriously. Unfortunately it isn't for the greater good of equality but for the bottom line of the company. A sexual harassment suit can run into billions of dollars.
A couple of colleagues from a sister site in Phoenix were kind of taken aback by some of the stuff we said (which tbf were really really tame by british standards, REALLY tame to what we usually come out with).

They stated if any of them came out with that they would be fired immediately

Hmmm, my impression is that it is a little bit more lax here, but not much more. In any case, my guess is that most people cruise along with nothing and then you read about this story.

Frankly, from what I can tell, it's pretty easy to avoid saying anything stupid, so I don't. But I really don't know what you could say that I would consider appropriate, but could get you fired. But as sikpuppy said, the place for that is in the pub.
I'm not saying outright smut, derogatory terminology, thats a no-brainer.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't post for some time and when I come back I see this shit....Well it is good to know that things have not changed. This is why you don't tweet about work, ever. If you must break said rule you only ever speak in the vaguest of terms unless something serious is going on like sexual harassment or discrimination, or feeding workers to rabid dogs.

Edit: Used wrong word for some reason.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."

Last edited by Shadow Skill on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all a shitstorm. All sorts of stuff seems wrong about this. I can't really find out precisely what these guys said, but I am willing to believe it wasn't that bad because there doesn't seem to be much evidence otherwise. she handled it terribly.

but it is a pretty dangerous place that one accusation can get you fired.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
it's all a shitstorm. All sorts of stuff seems wrong about this. I can't really find out precisely what these guys said, but I am willing to believe it wasn't that bad because there doesn't seem to be much evidence otherwise. she handled it terribly.

Its the fault of the so-called "Progressives", whose over-fapping and collectivist mind-set has given rise to the PC Brigade and their herd-stampeding mob mentality.

Equal opportunity for women is great, but when you have to be afraid to make a "dongle" joke to your buddy in a crowd at a tech conference, lest you be fired, the PC Brigade harassment and herd-stampeding social media liberal Stasi bullshit has gone too far.

To all you fucksticks out there, if you're somebody who promulgates stuff that "outrages" you via social media or even email, then you're part of the problem. Stop it (especially if you do it without confirming its validity first). You might even think you're following Alinsky/Obama and "agitating" for a good cause, but you're not; you're being a douche bag.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:

Its the fault of the so-called "Progressives", whose over-fapping and collectivist mind-set has given rise to the PC Brigade and their herd-stampeding mob mentality.

Equal opportunity for women is great, but when you have to be afraid to make a "dongle" joke to your buddy in a crowd at a tech conference, lest you be fired, the PC Brigade harassment and herd-stampeding social media liberal Stasi bullshit has gone too far.

To all you fucksticks out there, if you're somebody who promulgates stuff that "outrages" you via social media or even email, then you're part of the problem. Stop it (especially if you do it without confirming its validity first). You might even think you're following Alinsky/Obama and "agitating" for a good cause, but you're not; you're being a douche bag.

it's hard to pigeonhole. A good solid liberal value is due process. if someone is dismissed from employment, there needs to be justification.

on the other hand, a good solid corporate value is profit first. if these guys make the company look bad, get rid of them.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone read the entire blog article she posted?

Quote:
Not every woman who attends a tech conference is a victim in waiting.

8O

She needs to go outside.... often. Preferably somewhere outside of California.

I agree, the guys needed to act more professionally, should they have been fired? No.

Two guys in an unfamiliar place, I think some joking cut the tension a bit.

Oh well, justice got served in her direction at least, now she can just be a full-blown professional femi-nazi and let geeks who aren't offended by such dribble handle the tech stuff.

*edit*

FFS

Quote:
Three things came to me: act, speak and confront in the moment.

Tell me that doesn't look like it came right of a "Women's Rights" class from Berkly-U.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: