View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Sigil (epub editor) fails to load after emerge. [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I've just emerged sigil on a new installation, and on invoking it receive:
Code:
># sigil
Could not open catalog:
 XercesMessages_en_US.cat
 or XercesMessages_en_US.cat
Cannot load message domain

I'm unsure as to what this means; seems to suggest that there should be an initialization wizard that sets things up. Has anyone else experienced this?

On a related note, there are two other epub editor apps that look promising but don't seem to be in the Gentoo repo:

http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub

http://www.jutoh.com/

Can I suggest that they be included, or if they're included but masked how do I find out?

Last edited by 52midnight on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it to see if I could identify the problem. I can confirm the same problem you explained, so I googled the missing file. Found https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-805788-start-0.html, logged out and back in, and it now works correctly.

:)
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for that, will give it a go.

After reading the bug report, it seems that xerces should be a dependency of sigil. How does one make this suggestion to the Gentoo team.

BTW, Jutoh looks to be a proprietary app with a free demo, so porbably not worth bothering with. Ecub, however, looks good and gets favourable press, so might be worth adding to the repo, esp given the booming popularity of ebooks. Is there a formal way to submit it to the Gentoo team for evaluation?
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xerces library is installed as a dependency, so the bug report needn't be posted. The relevant part of the post is that your profile needs to be reloaded before the file is found - logging out and back in will do that for you.

You can write an ebuild and contribute to the Sunrise overlay: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/sunrise/

If you don't yet know how to write an ebuild, this would be a good way to start! :wink:
52midnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. My background is hardware design, but I know enough about software to be dangerous, so you may end up regretting your suggestion. I'm coming back to Gentoo after several years away, and now have a stable platform that is proving very satisfying, so I'd be pleased to help out. Will go through the relevant material and see if I can do so.

And yes, you're right. Hadn't bothered rechecking sigil after switching on again this morning, and presto, it works!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: