How Can I remove all packages except kernel and grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilgamesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: How Can I remove all packages except kernel and grub Reply with quote

Hi,
I have made some mistakes as I did not have proper understanding of gentoo system.

Now I want to clean all of them and start from the beginning. But I am happy with the kernel I built.
So is it possible to remove everything other than kernel and grub. So that I can boot into system and get very thing what I would need.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation.

If you installed gentoo on a "normal" x86, x86_64 architecture you could save your .config file and your grub configuration on a external HD and then do a fresh install. When you reach the kernel configuration you can boot the external HD and take your old one. (same for grub). This would be a lot easier for you, because if you start deleting packages then it can get very messy.

(don't laught: :) I removed all perl/python packages and then my system was dead).

So a minimal system consists of way more packages or programs than just the kernel and a bootloader.

If you have installed an X-server with a WM, than you can delete every X-related file (and/or KDE, gnome etc file), but the lower level packages are not safe to delete! (at least if you don't have a deep knowledge of the relations between them).
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do as LoTeK suggests, back up your /usr/src/linux/.config file and your grub config file (location will possibly depend on whether you installed grub or grub2) to an external storage medium and do a fresh install, then copy over them when you need to.
lilgamesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I'm in a similar situation.

If you installed gentoo on a "normal" x86, x86_64 architecture you could save your .config file and your grub configuration on a external HD and then do a fresh install. When you reach the kernel configuration you can boot the external HD and take your old one. (same for grub). This would be a lot easier for you, because if you start deleting packages then it can get very messy.

(don't laught: :) I removed all perl/python packages and then my system was dead).

So a minimal system consists of way more packages or programs than just the kernel and a bootloader.

If you have installed an X-server with a WM, than you can delete every X-related file (and/or KDE, gnome etc file), but the lower level packages are not safe to delete! (at least if you don't have a deep knowledge of the relations between them).

I agree. I am already planning to do that.
I already have backed up my kernel configuration and I know how to use that.

But I wanted to know if there any other way.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilgamesh ...

I've not ever tried this, so it comes with a warning. Note that you will require that the world file only has packages you've installed, and not those you may have re-inistalled without using --oneshot. If your world file can be trusted to *only* have packages that should be part of world then the following *should* work ...

Code:
# emerge -a --unmerge $(awk '{print $0}' /var/lib/portage/world)
# emerge -a --depclean

This should remove all the packages in world and their dependencies (and note again, if at any point you've run 'emerge package', when you really should have used --oneshot, then that package will also be in the world file, and so be unmerged! ... you might want to check/edit the world file before hand).

After this it might be a good idea to run 'revdep-rebuild -pv' and 'emerge -pvuDN @world' to check for consistancy.

I don't really recommend the above as the use of --unmerge is somewhat risky, but as you plan a clean install that risk is somewhat mitigated.

best ... khay
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

A few pedantic comments (and you and I have never been known to be pedantic, have we?):
  • Code:
    $(awk '{ print $0 }' /var/lib/portage/world)
    is equivalent to the simpler, faster
    Code:
    $(cat /var/lib/portage/world)
    which is equivalent to the even simpler & faster
    Code:
    $(</var/lib/portage/world)
  • If --unmerge scares you in these circumstances, use --deselect, which merely removes the entries from the world set.
  • And, if that's all you're doing, a trick (that admittedly depends on implementation specifics, although specifics that have been stable for a long time) that accomplishes the same thing much faster is
    Code:
    rm /var/lib/portage/world
    touch /var/lib/portage/world
- John
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Code:
rm /var/lib/portage/world
touch /var/lib/portage/world

John ... doh! Yes, *much* simpler. I won't bore you with how I got from ...

Code:
# emerge -pv $(awk '{print "="$1}' <(qlist -ICv 9999))

... to "doh!" in 30 seconds :)

.... and as we're being pedantic:

Code:
cat > /var/lib/portage/world

best ... khay
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. TIMTOWTDI. ;)

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT