Blocked Packages in emerge and equery are different
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Blocked Packages in emerge and equery are different Reply with quote

I am trying to troubleshoot some problems with emerging a version of gnome that will work.

I have blocked packages listed in emerge that don't match the results shown in equery. Clearly I am doing something wrong, but I don't know how to fix the problem.

Some blocks shown in an "emerge world -up":

[blocks B ] gnome-extra/gnome-media[pulseaudio] ("gnome-extra/gnome-media[pulseaudio]" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1)
    [blocks B ] <gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300 ("<gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1)
    [blocks B ] <gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0 ("<gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.6.2)

Now, if I do an equery, I get different results:

bopper portage # equery depends gnome-menus
    * These packages depend on gnome-menus:
    gnome-base/gnome-panel-3.6.2 (>=gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.1.4:3)

Clearly something is causing the gnome-media block (I think it might be an old version of gnome), but how do I figure out what package it is?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your over thinking it. The "equery depends" output has nothing to do with the emerge block.

Just read the line that emerge gives you. It tells you the problem.

Code:
[blocks B ] <gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0 ("<gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.6.2)

this breaks down to the installed version:
Code:
[blocks B ] <gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0

the actual block:
Code:
"<gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.0.1-r1:0" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-menus-3.6.2

You can see that the older installed version of gnome-menus is blocking the newer version of gnome-menus (NOTE the less than symbol at the start)

In this case you either need to emerge an intermediate version if there is one, or unmerge the current version and then emerge the new version.

The other block involves gnome-media, the second line is the one to pay attention to for the answer.
Code:
"<gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.32.0-r300" is blocking gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.6.3-r1

So,
Code:
emerge -1u gnome-media
emerge -1u gnome-control-center

Should fix it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: