Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Does that mean there is no "stable" kernel available???

The two you have installed are from the stable branch. The next one will probably be 3.7.10-r1 or maybe 3.8.3.

You can install 3.8.4 or the prior two now with an entry in package.accept_keywords.

I would recommend getting the kernels you have now running before installing a newer version :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:
Does that mean there is no "stable" kernel available???

The two you have installed are from the stable branch. The next one will probably be 3.7.10-r1 or maybe 3.8.3.

You can install 3.8.4 or the prior two now with an entry in package.accept_keywords.

I would recommend getting the kernels you have now running before installing a newer version :wink:

Thank you for your patience and help BillWho.

OK. Clearly I am missing something.

As I indicated I can successfully boot linux-3.6.11-gentoo and it has all of the selections I made in genkernel. Is it safe to assume that this config file is OK?

I copied the "good" config to linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1 and ran make oldconfig "successfully".

But,
1) The kernel config is not keeping stuff I already indicated. I must go back and recompile with ie: the necessary cryptographic options to access Luks, and also noticed all the ACPI Power management stuff is no longer there. Once I do that...

2) I still can not boot. The behaviour is the same that I described earlier. Boot starts, prompt for Luks password, bumps me into the perpetually blinking underscore.

Really frustrated. Is it me?

Here is my X log:

[url]linux-3.6.11-gentoo[/url]

If I emerge linux-3.6.11-gentoo sources can I continue to compile the one kernel I have that works. My fear is that I will emerge those sources and all my previous setting will disappear leaving me with, now 3, unusable kernels.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

So it dawned on me that if the kernel config selections aren't being preserved maybe the Intel Driver stuff wasn't as well. That was indeed the case so I selected in genkernel, recompiled, and now can successfully boot into inux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1.

Before I try to use the newer kernel though I would like to find out what I am doing incorrectly, or what is going on, that my kernel selections from config aren't carrying over.

I copy it over and do make oldconfig and at the very least Cryptography, ACPI, and Intel Drivers are not carried over into the new kernel. Any ideas?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Update:

So it dawned on me that if the kernel config selections aren't being preserved maybe the Intel Driver stuff wasn't as well. That was indeed the case so I selected in genkernel, recompiled, and now can successfully boot into inux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1.

Before I try to use the newer kernel though I would like to find out what I am doing incorrectly, or what is going on, that my kernel selections from config aren't carrying over.

I copy it over and do make oldconfig and at the very least Cryptography, ACPI, and Intel Drivers are not carried over into the new kernel. Any ideas?

I don't know what you could be doing to lose those settings. On this computer with genkernel I went from 2.6.39-gentoo to 3.9.0-rc3 without ever losing one setting.

The only thing I can suggest is again save the config file, download one from kernel seeds make oldconfig for linux-3.6.11-gentoo then copy it to linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1 and make oldconfig then do a diff on them. Don't involve genkernel , do it manually.

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:
Update:

I don't know what you could be doing to lose those settings. On this computer with genkernel I went from 2.6.39-gentoo to 3.9.0-rc3 without ever losing one setting.

The only thing I can suggest is again save the config file, download one from kernel seeds make oldconfig for linux-3.6.11-gentoo then copy it to linux-3.6.11-gentoo-r1 and make oldconfig then do a diff on them. Don't involve genkernel , do it manually.

Can you clarify one thing for me?

I am running
Quote:
make oldconfig
from
Quote:
/usr/src/linux
right? Not from
Quote:
/usr/src/linux-3.xx

I am now able to successfully compile and boot new kernels but that is because I know what settings I am losing along the way and recompile. When I grabbed a config file from kernel-seeds and copy it to the new src folder and run genkernel it throws a "can't copy config file" error. When I look in the directory it renames the .config file to a .bak thus leaving no .config in the dir. This is reproducible every time. I am just not sure if it is because of a mistake I am making or if it is a bug?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:

I am running
Quote:
make oldconfig
from
Quote:
/usr/src/linux
right? Not from
Quote:
/usr/src/linux-3.xx

I am now able to successfully compile and boot new kernels but that is because I know what settings I am losing along the way and recompile. When I grabbed a config file from kernel-seeds and copy it to the new src folder and run genkernel it throws a "can't copy config file" error. When I look in the directory it renames the .config file to a .bak thus leaving no .config in the dir. This is reproducible every time. I am just not sure if it is because of a mistake I am making or if it is a bug?

Yes. cd /usr/src/linux is correct.

I can't explain the genkernel "can't copy config file" error. But, I asked you to do oldconfig manually in both folders then a diff in order to eliminate the source of your problem. Did you try that :?:

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:

I am running
Quote:
make oldconfig
from
Quote:
/usr/src/linux
right? Not from
Quote:
/usr/src/linux-3.xx

Yes. cd /usr/src/linux is correct.

I can't explain the genkernel "can't copy config file" error. But, I asked you to do oldconfig manually in both folders then a diff in order to eliminate the source of your problem. Did you try that :?:

Thanks for the clarification. I did miss the doing it manually instruct. I'll try it but have never done one before so need to learn how to do so first. Until now I have only used genkernel.
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I did miss the doing it manually instruct. I'll try it but have never done one before so need to learn how to do so first. Until now I have only used genkernel.

It's very simple, you just type make oldconfig :wink:

Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Budoka wrote:

It's very simple, you just type make oldconfig :wink:

Ah! In that case, Yes, I was doing it manually.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: