topic reply email is for wrong topic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: topic reply email is for wrong topic Reply with quote

I just received an email:
Topic Reply Notification - chromium (speech-dispatcher and espeak without pulseaudio):
Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "chromium
(speech-dispatcher and espeak without pulseaudio)" at Gentoo Forums. This topic has
received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the
replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=7265078#7265078

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching
this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following
link:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=950382&unwatch=topic
but the subject of the topic with post 7265078 is "Mouth using 100% CPU and RAM, how do I stop it?" and I am not subscribed. The actual thread with the subject in the email is 950382 in which I made the most recent post some days ago.

Do I need to start wearing a tin-foil hat?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching
this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following
link:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=950382&unwatch=topic

is in fact your topic, but I'm not sure how the top happened... Just observing.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed that because I didn't want to unwatch. Definitely odd.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had this happen to me from time to time, as well. The annoyance level didn't rise to the level of posting about it. Good for you, because this ought to work correctly, and to do so someone needs to hear about it.

I'm posting a "me, too" so that whoever reads this knows that it isn't unique to you.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the gremlins they get everywhere... its like trying to do it on the beach... you get sand in places you didn't know existed
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has happened here is that someone posted to a topic you were watching but that post was split off to the dustbin (and possibly merged with other posts). This usually happens when a spammer replies to the topic.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense - that post was one of eight in the same topic by the same user, each posted one minute apart. Perhaps irrelevant, but doesn't really look like spam to me. Anyway, finally a good explanation of what the gremlins sometimes do.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaborating on what tomk said:

It was a spammer. New user, posting rapidly to many different threads. The "better" ones try to sound somewhat topical. But they just end up writing generalized nonsense such as giving MS.Windows advice to linux questions. Sometimes it's a copy-paste from other forums (there was a recent one complaining about problems with their pre-2.4 kernel). Then they come back at a later time and edit their posts to include spam links. This particular one didn't have any links yet. But it was obvious enough, and they were making enough of a mess, that it was decided to put a stop to it before it became even more of a problem to clean up. (In any case, even if links are present they don't show up in posts moved to dustbin, to avoid search engines indexing the garbage.)

There's no particularly good way around the notifications problem. Once the email is sent, it's out there, there's no way to take it back if the post happens to get moved away. Sometimes the posts are deleted, but then you'll end up with a link that says no such post. Generally they'll get moved, both to keep the notify links intact (albeit confusing), and to provide evidence in case the spammer emails asking why was I banned?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: