Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
modprobe fglrx no such device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chocrates
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: modprobe fglrx no such device Reply with quote

I am doing some graphics programming and i need an opengl 3.3 driver.

I updated this year at some point and the proprietary ati drivers broke my system, so i have been using open source for a while.

I have followed the fglrx wiki instructions and tried to use ati-drivers 12.8,12.11_beta3, 13.1 as well as xorg-server-1.12.4 and xorg-server-1.13 but nothing seems to be working.
My most recent issue with ati-drivers 13.1 and xorg-server 1.12.4 is fglrx will not modprobe.
What are my next steps?

Code:
lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]

(that was handtyped as I do not have X at the moment, and it just dawned on me that i have putty open in another window....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4883

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: modprobe fglrx no such device Reply with quote

Chocrates wrote:
I am doing some graphics programming and i need an opengl 3.3 driver.

I updated this year at some point and the proprietary ati drivers broke my system, so i have been using open source for a while.

I have followed the fglrx wiki instructions and tried to use ati-drivers 12.8,12.11_beta3, 13.1 as well as xorg-server-1.12.4 and xorg-server-1.13 but nothing seems to be working.
My most recent issue with ati-drivers 13.1 and xorg-server 1.12.4 is fglrx will not modprobe.
What are my next steps?

Code:
lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]

(that was handtyped as I do not have X at the moment, and it just dawned on me that i have putty open in another window....

forget about this, the latest driver doesn't support both of you cards, either go to fgrlx 9.something or stay with the opensource one.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chocrates
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: modprobe fglrx no such device Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
Chocrates wrote:
I am doing some graphics programming and i need an opengl 3.3 driver.

I updated this year at some point and the proprietary ati drivers broke my system, so i have been using open source for a while.

I have followed the fglrx wiki instructions and tried to use ati-drivers 12.8,12.11_beta3, 13.1 as well as xorg-server-1.12.4 and xorg-server-1.13 but nothing seems to be working.
My most recent issue with ati-drivers 13.1 and xorg-server 1.12.4 is fglrx will not modprobe.
What are my next steps?

Code:
lspci | grep VGA
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series]

(that was handtyped as I do not have X at the moment, and it just dawned on me that i have putty open in another window....

forget about this, the latest driver doesn't support both of you cards, either go to fgrlx 9.something or stay with the opensource one.

haha yeah, I thought that 13.1 supported older cards again?
I really jist need to link against it, as mesa is only up to opengl 3.1afaik
Ill take a look at catalyst 9, I know i had it working 4 months ago or so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chocrates
n00b
n00b


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success.
Revert to xorg-server-1.12.4 and install this binary.
No clue why the packaged version doesn't work, but I emerged that first as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaggyStyle
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 4883

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocrates wrote:
Success.
Revert to xorg-server-1.12.4 and install this binary.
No clue why the packaged version doesn't work, but I emerged that first as well.


never install pkg outside of the package manager unless you really know what you are doing.

most probably that your pkg is in the x11-overlay.
_________________
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
ProjectFootball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
syn0ptik
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothere question for that.
Could you access tty text terminals if grafiks runs kms?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum