what opportunities can Gentoo offer to a fresh graduate
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zakstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: what opportunities can Gentoo offer to a fresh graduate Reply with quote

i have just completed my engineering from I.T . and has pursued training in cisco security administration(CCNA security) as i was always interested in computer security practices... i cant explain how fascinating i find reading and understanding cryptographic protocols. but i have realized that cisco administration is just maintenance... there is no crytographic implementation or any security implementation, it is just about turning things on and off which have already been deployed... unlike me who finds the art of creativity more interesting than the art of maintaining ....

and the security practice is such that u cant secure anything until u know how it works.... so i want to learn Operating Systems and start developing what ever i can in it.... because all the configurations we make as an administrator are inputs to the OS.... i wanna create things instead of maintaining them... and Linux or BSD are the core of all networking Systems or client systems

can you suggest me some skills to perfect myself in to start doing some programming in networking and operating systems(Linux,BSD) ....
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn C++ or Go or Python, have a look at all three.

Write some network tools/services and go from there.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to figure things out and learn, something your degree should have encouraged if it's any good.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are several security auditing packages on gentoo. we have bird & quagga. we have lots of documentation, and a high quality wiki system. we have a good bug tracking system. before i ever used gentoo i was well aware of the high quality of the bug tracking here from looking up bugs i would find in slackware or linux from scratch. we have a good security advisory system. its probably the best distribution you can possibly use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: