Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't get bluetooth radio to work on a new amd64 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Budoka
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Can't get bluetooth radio to work on a new amd64 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I am using the Gentoo Bluetooth Guide at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bluetooth and after a small hiccup, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-898256-highlight-.html as best as I can tell successfully configured and re-compiled my kernel.

However, I can not get my bluetooth to work.

The Adapters-KDE Control Module can't find any bluetooth adapters.

Code:
 hcitool scan
Device is not available: No such device


Code:
# hciconfig
Returns nothing.

Code:
# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2232:1018 
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0d62:a100 Darfon Electronics Corp. Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 8086:0189 Intel Corp.


Code:
# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)                                                                                                           
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)                                                                                                                       
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)                                                                                                                       
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)                                                                                                                       
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)                                                                                                           
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)                                                                                                                                       
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)                                                                                                             
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)                                                                                                                                   
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]                                                                                                                   
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 [Rainbow Peak] (rev 34)                                                                                                                                   
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)                                                                                                       
04:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller               


I am out of my depth here but it appears to be crashing?

Code:
# /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
 * status: crashed
TL_Samsung tlee # /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
 * WARNING: bluetooth has already been started
TL_Samsung tlee # /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
 * status: crashed


Quote:
http://bpaste.net/show/81495/


According to the manufacturer my box has
Quote:
Bluetooth Bluetooth v3.0 High Speed
and it does indeed work when I boot into Win7.

What should I do next to troubleshoot this problem? I am L-O-S-T. Thanks.


Last edited by Budoka on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dinominant
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything in the lspci or lsusb that looks like a bluetooth device. Is your box a laptop? Is your wireless disabled with a hardware switch or is it disabled int he BIOS?
_________________
BTC: 18wdrw8sLtruvdwr5kB3RxbbxzjDeXUpRh
LTC: LYynwaSeBLb4gHaMnkB7NQ27H6wF3Fjyxo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Budoka
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinominant wrote:
I don't see anything in the lspci or lsusb that looks like a bluetooth device. Is your box a laptop? Is your wireless disabled with a hardware switch or is it disabled int he BIOS?


Yes it is a laptop.

I don't see anything for blue-tooth in the BIOS and there isn't a hardware switch. There is a Fn switch for wifi but that is just the regular 802.~ wifi.

It's a dual boot box and Bluetooth radio works fine when I boot into Windows 7.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/715/capture4y.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/854/capture3lz.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/850/capture2sc.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/201/capturesfp.png[/IMG]


Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dinominant
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I was wrong... This is your bluetooth device:
Code:
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 [Rainbow Peak] (rev 34)


I found this thread where people appear to be having problems with the wireless, but not the bluetooth. Maybe unmask the latest version of linux-firmware and emerge it, then try compiling your kernel again so it can load that firmware?
_________________
BTC: 18wdrw8sLtruvdwr5kB3RxbbxzjDeXUpRh
LTC: LYynwaSeBLb4gHaMnkB7NQ27H6wF3Fjyxo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
syn0ptik
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetooth should be in list devices if it does in the system
hcitool dev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Budoka
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syn0ptik wrote:
bluetooth should be in list devices if it does in the system
hcitool dev


Returns this :
Quote:
# hcitool dev
Devices:


I am really at a loss and not sure how to proceed. I will look at the above referenced thread but not sure if it is the same issue.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Logicien
l33t
l33t


Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Posts: 738
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Atheros Bluetooth AR3011 device on an external USB port in an Acer mini tower. It is drive by the ath3k/btusb modules. Even if those modules are loaded at boot time by the kernel and from /etc/conf.d/modules, the bluetooth device is never seen until I unplug it from the USB port and plug it again. Than it is seen by lsusb and hciconfig -a and work properly.

To resolv the problem, I tried several things like compiled the USB and bluetooth support in hard in the kernel with no success. The best I can do is to blacklist the ath3k bluetooth module because, when it is loaded by the kernel at boot time the Bluetooth device is not detected and it slow the boot process.

So, it look like some Bluetooth devices need to be plugged in after the boot process on some Linux machines. I haven't found an other way to use the Atheros Bluetooth AR3011 device on this Acer Aspire X1470 mini tower. Worst, two other USB Bluetooth devices that are detected at boot time make the kernel panic after being associated with an other Bluetooth device.

Ironically, I have a netbook and a laptop and both integrated bluetooth devices work normaly after boot without my intervention. More, I made a test, and the external USB Atheros Bluetooth AR3011 device just work to after boot on my netbook.

I have no solution, but something is missing during the boot that is there after it and make some devices only usable then.
_________________
Paul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Budoka
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
I have an Atheros Bluetooth AR3011 device on an external USB port in an Acer mini tower. It is drive by the ath3k/btusb modules. Even if those modules are loaded at boot time by the kernel and from /etc/conf.d/modules, the bluetooth device is never seen until I unplug it from the USB port and plug it again. Than it is seen by lsusb and hciconfig -a and work properly.

To resolv the problem, I tried several things like compiled the USB and bluetooth support in hard in the kernel with no success. The best I can do is to blacklist the ath3k bluetooth module because, when it is loaded by the kernel at boot time the Bluetooth device is not detected and it slow the boot process.

So, it look like some Bluetooth devices need to be plugged in after the boot process on some Linux machines. I haven't found an other way to use the Atheros Bluetooth AR3011 device on this Acer Aspire X1470 mini tower. Worst, two other USB Bluetooth devices that are detected at boot time make the kernel panic after being associated with an other Bluetooth device.

Ironically, I have a netbook and a laptop and both integrated bluetooth devices work normaly after boot without my intervention. More, I made a test, and the external USB Atheros Bluetooth AR3011 device just work to after boot on my netbook.

I have no solution, but something is missing during the boot that is there after it and make some devices only usable then.


Thank you for the information. This makes it even more confusing to me because my bluetooth is integrated and not an external radio. So it sounds like I went wrong somewhere. I double checked my kernel and I did compile the requested components into it so not sure how to troubleshoot further. Being a noob doesn't help either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Budoka
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 286
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my kernel to 3.8 in gentoo-sources and voila! My bluetooth works. Oh well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum