View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: uxterm displaying special characters incorrectly? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have a string issue in uxterm on my MythTV frontend.

I run the frontend within fluxbox. I have hotkeys set up to open a uxterm window. My TERM is set to xterm and my locale is all en_US.UTF-8.

Special characters don't display correctly. Some examples are the "fancy" quote characters around file names in the confirmation prompt of "rm -i", or the characters used to make the level bars in an alsamixer screen.

What's especially odd is that, if I ssh to it remotely from a uxterm window and log in as the mythtv user, it looks fine, and the environment as far as I can see is essentially identical.

In case it makes a difference, the way things are run on that frontend are a little unusual...that is the way I auto start mythfrontend. I have it starting from inittab with this:

Code:
c6:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -fwc 2 -- /bin/su -l -c "/usr/bin/startx > /dev/null" mythtv

The fact that that uses su -l makes me assume the environment should be getting set up ok. Then, at the end of the mythtv users .fluxbox/startup, where it would usually do just "exec /usr/bin/fluxbox" I have this:

Code:
/usr/bin/fluxbox &
sleep 2
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log -v important,general

Not sure if any of that would be an issue or not. Any ideas?

Tom

Last edited by tld on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I figured out the issue mostly...I just don't know what to do about it. In order to have a readable font size on my 52" 16:9 screen, I have this in .Xdefaults:

Code:
xterm*font: -misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-26-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

That apparently does not want to display special characters correctly.

Now it's all coming back to me that, when I originally set that up, it took me forever to get a really big font size, and that was all that I could find that would work. I recall that essentially everything I read online about increasing that font size in uxterm simply did NOT work...just plain painful.

Any ideas on a setting that would render more nicely with a huge font size like that??

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...got it. I just changed the .Xdefaults to just override the font size with this:

Code:
xterm*font: 10x20

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: