Need Kernel and cloop module - Please!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Need Kernel and cloop module - Please! Reply with quote

Anyone nice enough to make me a PPC "Oldworld" kernel that has the MESH SCSI controller built in as well as sd_mod, sr_mod and sg_mod (All the SCSI drive support) please? Compiled against it the cloop.o module to so I can boot and mount the LiveCD and finally get Gentoo 1.4 installed on the stupid MAC 7600 I have here.
I am out of workarounds and can't wait for the developers to fix it.
I can't make my own because I don't have a working PPC system yet (Chicken and the Egg).
Thats all I need - PPC kernel with MESH, SCSI drive support and the cloop.o module - thats all.
Thanks muchly!
Axel
Jeedo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help you with the kernel but why do you need a working ppc system? gcc can compile for arch X even if you're on arch Y
axelmasok
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeedo wrote:
I cant help you with the kernel but why do you need a working ppc system? gcc can compile for arch X even if you're on arch Y

Well as far as I have read - not so easy. To cross compile a kernel I need to install PPC headers/modutils etc etc (I may well be wrong but this is what I have read). But, OK, I already have a working kernel that I have downloaded somewhere. If I try to insmod the cloop.o that Gentoo gave me I receive unresolved symbol errors because the kernel version it was compiled for is different to the running kernel. You are saying that I can compile cloop.o for PPC from my X86 machine. I would probably have to find kernel sources that match the version of the running PPC kernel and compile cloop.o with GCC with PPC march= or mcpu= or whatever options. My first reaction is "no way it wont work". Before I try this can you (or anyone) verify that this might work? Is this a guess or really a prooven concept? - I am not a compiling genious/developer btw, but know what I need to know.
Many thanks for you reply too Jeedo!
Axel

Update: pvdabeel is going to release another livecd for me and my unfortunate "oldworld" friends this week! There will not be any need for a kernel and cloop and lets hope this will be the last request for help from me. If there is any truth to the cross-compiling talk above feel free to comment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: