View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveAtFraud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Xfce4 Panel and Terminal Weirdness Reply with quote

I'm attempting to set up a couple of VMs running gentoo with different desktops The VM with a gnome desktop works as expected. The xfce desktop has some problems:

1) Buttons on the panel don't align with the clickable area. In fact, the usable area of the panel is about 75% of the full screen width which approximates how much the button areas are off. On the right side of the panel (user actions, clock, workspace switcher) I have to randomly click in what appears to be a blank part of the panel or hover around until a tooltip comes up to determine what's under the cursor.

2) xfce4 terminal takes up about 75% of the horizontal area within the window border. The scroll bar shows up at the right side of the terminal text area but the sensitive part of the window for the scroll bar is the expected area just to the left of the right window border.

Screenshot: http://davenjudy.org/graphics/Screenshot-genTooVirtualMachine.png

Non-xfce applications (e.g., xterm and firefox) seem to display normally. Originally desktop tooltips were unreadable (got the balloon but the text was unreadable). I created a new session without either panel and the desktop tooltips now display as expected. I can't find anything that seems to control this behavior. I've tried turning on and off various options for panel length but the usable area only goes about 75% of the way across the screen and the buttons keep the weirdness described above.

Both the working gnome desktop and the weird xfce4 desktop are running in otherwise identical VMs (cirrus graphics, 2GB RAM, all other VM settings the same). I also have an xfce Fedora VM that works as expected on the same host and with the same VM settings. One other oddity is all of the windows in the gentoo xfce VM lack side borders. That is, I can only change the horizontal size of a window by grabbing a corner. There is nothing to grab along the sides.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
DaveAtFraud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Found it Reply with quote

Turns out everything seems to have been caused by a typo in make.conf. Luckily I had emerged vim (I'm an old Unix hacker so I prefer vi) and used vi to verify my settings. vo's syntax highlighting had my botched VIDEO_CARDS setting a different color than nano's plain text. Fixed it then spent a few hours trying to get xorg and the pieces affected to rebuild. Finally found a couple of posts on how to force a rebuild and now I have a working xfce desktop.

Oddly, even after a:

emerge -eb @world

I had to:

emerge @x11-module-rebuild

before X would start.

Cheers,
Dave
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: