Catalyst alternate binutils and compiler for kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Catalyst alternate binutils and compiler for kernel Reply with quote

I see that genkernel supports specifying a compiler... however I am not sure how to do so for catalyst

I require gcc 4.5/binutils-2.21 to build gentoo-sources-2.6.32-r41 (grabbed it from attic and updated it slightly so it works again I would prefer not to have to patch it for gcc-4.7) I would be open to having a way to build the kernel and just pass it to catalyst skipping genkernel entirely (this would avoid genkernel's lack of ability to strip the kernel as well)

However I want everything else to be built with gcc-4.7. I suppose I could just mask gcc 4.7 but I'd rather not.

I may be able to upgrade to a slightly newer kernel that might build with 4.7 however I am limited in my options as the zImage must be around 2.5Mb for sparc. I'm open to ideas and suggestions even if I don't like them :)

I believe I can specify building gcc-4.5.4 and binutils-2.21.1-r1 for installcd-stage1.spec ... so they would be available during installcdl-stage2.spec.... rebuilding livecd-stage1 with them included now in case someone can tell me how to hook genkernel up with them. It may just have to be that my livecd has to be built with gcc-4.5 and my stage3 can default to 4.7 I could live with that if it works.

Sorry for the rambling!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: