Reporters Without Borders names "Enemies of the Internet"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reporters Without Borders names "Enemies of the Interne Reply with quote

Quote:
Reporters Without Borders named five countries that regularly spy on journalists and dissidents, a practice the group contends is made possible with advanced technology from private companies.

The Paris-based group, which is an international advocate for press freedom, labeled Syria, China, Iran, Bahrain and Vietnam as "enemies of the internet" in a new report for their alleged increased online surveillance.

The group timed the release of its report with the World Day Against Cyber Censorship, and said that around 180 people are imprisoned worldwide for delivering news online.

"Surveillance in these countries targets dissidents and has grown in recent months," RSF said. "Cyberattacks and intrusions, including the use of malware against dissidents and their networks, are on the increase."

RSF charged the surveillance is made possible through equipment supplied by technology companies, including Gamma International, Trovicor, Hacking Team, Amesys and Blue Coat Systems. The companies should know their products could be misused if sold to certain countries, RSF said.

http://www.cio.com/article/730087/Reporters_Without_Borders_slams_five_nations_for_spying_on_media_activists

I'm sure Russia, the U.S., Israel, Japan, Korea and others would be on this list too if they didn't bother to cover their tracks. These are just the countries who do it brazenly, without compunction.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there isn't a government on Earth that wouldn't want to regulate the crap out of the internet. There's something very scary (to lawmakers) about a totally global communications platform that cannot be controlled from within any particular country.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Paris-based group

That cracked me up given that France doesn't allow any encryption use for email just because their government is too lazy to crack it like most governments.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly article. Everybody is being spied upon. The question is simply what different governments do with that info, or how they act. Countries listed in the article are simply more dumb, short-sighted and impulsive about it.

Whole lot of spying is being used in commercial purposes, there has been a study done by some norwegian institute that simply charting all your "likes" on facebook, they can with quite high success rate (80-90%) tell subject's race, sex, age, sexual orientation, political/ideological orientation, etc etc.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also political censorship almost everywhere inclusive in Europa:

google.ch search on "jew watch"
google.com search on "jew watch"

You see the difference, some links are missing on swiss google, like in every other European google search, and it is a legal publicity at the bottom for this censorship. And this is only the most well know example.

To not be redirected to your local and more censored version of google, just keep this into your bookmarks : google quicksearch
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reporters Without Borders names "Enemies of the Int Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

I'm sure Russia, the U.S., Israel, Japan, Korea and others would be on this list too if they didn't bother to cover their tracks. These are just the countries who do it brazenly, without compunction.

there's an incredible german movie called "the lives of others". About life in east germany and the network of spies the govt had. Amazing movie.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the CIA (USA) should send another cheque to RSF. RSF earned it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: