UDEV: Persistent disk-name
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
absolon_se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: UDEV: Persistent disk-name Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a problem that I don't know how to tackle.

I had to reinstall my system that had 2 raids on them and now, of course, the disks are not in the proper way they should be
so I need to make UDEV to understand that the "new" sdd is the old "sdb" and so on. I've been trying to find the solution online
but to no avail.

I even tried a normal: KERNEL=="sdd", NAME="Test" and that doesn't work either so I don't know why it doesn't like the rules??

So how can I make the device-nodes from kernel to the "old" ones? I was thinking about using blockid and UUID, which would be ideal
instead of labels but I don't know how to write the rules?

Anyone that can please point me to the right direction?

/Paul
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I need to make UDEV to understand that the "new" sdd is the old "sdb" and so on

You seem to approach the problem from the wrong direction.
Why exactly do you need the names "switched" ?
absolon_se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that the disks are not enumerated like they used to be. I had a raid, lets say it was sdb, sdc, sdf, sde and now when I reinstalled,
not doing anything with the disks, sdb and sdd has switched places. Of course. I can sit and pull cables etc, but it's not an option if I
happen to have an USB-stick in that gets enumerated as sdb and all the others are "one step to the right". So I need to make the disks
persistent, that the disk with one UUID/label is for instance sdb, even if the kernel finds them as something else.

So I saw that you could rename it to your own names like having KERNEL==sdb, LABEL="Mydisk" but that doesn't really help me right now
since I need to get the raids going and therefore I though of UUID since the disk have an unique one. But as the example from above, taken
from a guide doesn't work either, so I'm just lost in how I should config the disks to be in the order I want them to be, not how the kernel
finds them.

Udev populates the /dev with the different sd* so I was thinking that I could make them persistent and don't care what the kernel says
it is?

How is that a wrong approach? Please advice?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that VoidMage meant that, since you already have UUIDs assigned, you ought to use them directly in whatever tool is accessing the disk nodes, rather than trying to have udev rename your sdX nodes to a particular order that is then fed to your tool.
absolon_se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I created the raids with /dev/sdb->sdi and then a "hole" (disk) on sdj and then another one on sdk->sdm

Next time I will surly make the raid by UUID but the problem now is to get them up and going. Then I could do the long walk of putting a spare,
rebuild every disk with UUID or make a big backup...

I just thought that since I see that it's populating the disk-directory in the /lib/udev/60-persitant-disk... it would be modified there somewhere, like
running a blkid on the disk, match the UUID-output and then give it the sdX name that way?, but that is maybe not possible?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolon_se,

The UUIDs are there now. You just need to discover and use them when the raid sets are assembled.
mdadm -E /dev/<partition donated to raid> will tell your the UUID of the raid.
This is not the same as the UUID of the filesystem on the raid.
Code:
 $ sudo /sbin/mdadm -E /dev/sda1
Password:
/dev/sda1:
          Magic : a92b4efc
        Version : 0.90.00
           UUID : 9392926d:64086e7a:86638283:4138a59

Tell mdadm to assemble the raid with the given UUID, then the SCSI names don't matter.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
absolon_se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer!

Yes, I have the md-UUID but my question is then, will it find the disks that have changed place like scrambled eggs or just
take the 1-4, disregarding what disks they are? That is my fear since the devices have changed the sdX-names. Is mdadm
smart enough to notice that?

Edit:
So when I assemble the raid again I have just to specify the UUID's? Asking because I'm a bit scared of loosing information.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolon_se,

With UUID, the disks just have to be there. mdadm will look at all the the disks to find the UUIDs it needs.
The SCSI names do not matter.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
absolon_se
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Seems like it worked. Have a "funny" raid now. With the names not on the order they are installed at all.

Personalities : [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md1 : active raid5 sde1[4] sdb1[0] sdd1[2] sdc1[1]
8790402048 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md0 : active raid6 sdh1[2] sdj1[4] sdg1[1] sdf1[0] sdi1[3] sdk1[5]
7813527552 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

This is what I meant with scrambled devices. They are not in order as they use to be. There seems also that if I boot with an USB-stick
it puts itself to sdb. Is mdadm intelligent enough to check that disks are still in their "order"?

I mean the order of disk in md0: 2,4,1,0,3,5 is not only annoying but a bit scary ;)

This is why I want to make the devices persistent in the /dev so they are in order as I asked in the original question.

So the original question, can I somehow change the order? I don't understand why the order is changed at all since all I did was an reinstall. I changed
the primary disk but that is all.

Thank you again for your help! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: