Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Beware of pbzip2 - I have had problems with it.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Beware of pbzip2 - I have had problems with it. Reply with quote

Using app-arch/pbzip2 version 1.1.8, I used it as a drop in replacement for bzip2 in my backup scripts.

Code:

/bin/tar --one-file-system  --create --file - ${fileSystem} | bzip2 --stdout | split --bytes=1000m - ${backupFile}.

Basically, I split up my large backups into 1G chunks as, originally, I was keeping them on FAT32 disks. Not any longer but it's nice keeping things in smaller pieces, in case I need to burn to DVD, etc.

I recently had a filesystem corruption on my /home filesystem. I attribute this XFS filesystem failure to faulty memory that I had for a couple of weeks before I diagnosed it with GCC crashing, as can be seen in other posts in this forum :)

Whilst the /home filesystem was catastrophically corrupted (eventually), two other filesystems also had problems but xfs_repair was able to deal with them.

Luckily, I keep various filesystems separated, rather than what appears to be the current standard of everything in root, as only my /home filesystem needed recovery.

Problem was, my home filesystem backup was 3 1G files. The first 1GB file uncompressed and untarred just fine, second and third, nope. bzip2 checksum errors, to the point that tar nor cpio (using the input format option) could recover after I tried 'bzip2recover'.

I returned bzip2 to the above command stream, performed a new backup (after recovering as much as possible) and the split archives worked. I had assumed that pbzip2 would be a drop in replacement and I did not re-test my backups after (yes, I did test prior when using bzip2).

So, lesson learned. Change something, retest it, no matter how trivial the change appears to be.

Just a word of warning for any others who may use this utility. My personal suspicion is there is something wrong around the 1G archive size, but I won't be using it again soon.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbzip2 has quite a few problems from what I've heard, lbzip2 seems to be more compatible.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the headsup, lyallp :)

will have to get used to lbzip2 then

another alternative might be 7z (currently I'm alternating between 7z & pbzip2 for bzip2 archives)

edit:

Ant P. wrote:
pbzip2 has quite a few problems from what I've heard, lbzip2 seems to be more compatible.

just stumbled over pbzip2' access problems yesterday ...

therefore for completeness' sake:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7140832.html#7140832

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: