[DRAFT] UEFI - helpful information
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feng
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: [DRAFT] UEFI - helpful information Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

The UEFI technology is going to become an important standard. However, I haven't find much information on the UEFI technology itself, here.
The thread How to use UEFI - FAQ needed ? aims to encourage writing about the UEFI technology.

feng wrote:
I didn't find ideas how we can collaborate together in an effective manner to write the FAQ about UEFI. :(

The Gentoo documentation doesn't have elements about the UEFI technology itself. Nevertheless, I suppose most users will be able to boot a system compliant with UEFI technology.

However, the information helps people to apprehend, understand, interact or control computers. The evolutions of the system components may change the system architecture.
Therefore, the UEFI technology (UEFI firmwares, UEFI, ...) may affect users in facts to their interaction and control of computers.

Best regards,

feng

feng wrote:
Hi !
charles17 wrote:
Why not just start from https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_FAQ?

I think a complex task is done effectively if it follows a layout. The plan is used to evaluate the feasibility of the task and serves to judge the quality of the development and as a guide.
The problem is that only people who have read and understood the UEFI technology can write a FAQ. Writing the FAQ may take time for people who can write one.
The wiki allows collaboration of several people. I think a collaborative work can be wonderful. Here, a collaborative work is needed because understanding the UEFI technology requires energy and time.
My goal was to find a way for people to contribute whatever their knowledge and interests for the the UEFI technology. Thus, the FAQ would be complete and of good quality for a lot of people.
I believe finding a method would have allowed to develop a FAQ quickly and efficiency. The problem is how share the work to avoid do the same things knowing we have to understand what we do.

N.B : I use the term FAQ to refer all documents that can provide a concise explanation of the UEFI technology. The shape may resemble at the form of a FAQ.
For me, the UEFI technology is the set consisting of UEFI firmwares, UEFI, UEFI shell, ACPI, etc.

Best regards,

feng

I open the current thread to encourage people to share their knowledge about the UEFI technology. This thread doesn't need to be uniform in writing.
Anyone with knowledge about the UEFI technology can write in this thread. I would like to write a wiki page on the UEFI technology, so anyone can improve it.
I also would like to write one or more howto(s). If this thread has a lot of interesting information, it can be used as a draft.
If a contributor 's post is too large, it is best to open a new thread. I'll look in the forum Documentation, Tips & Tricks for threads about uefi and I'll give links in this thread.

N.B : This thread is not a thread to get support !

Best regards,

feng
feng
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: UEFI Links Reply with quote

UEFI Links:

[HOWTO] UEFI, nvidia - made simple(fb)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: