Illegal operand error during stage 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Illegal operand error during stage 2 Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Have been trying all night to get Gentoo 1.1a installed on a spare machine I had RH 7.2 on, to no avail. The hardware is as follows:

P-II 333 (5x66MHz)
256MB RAM (1x256MB DIMM PC-100)
S3 ViRGE 4MB video
Adaptec 2940UW PCI controller
2 x Seagate ST34372W SCSI drives (4.55 GB)

Everything seems to be fine until a certain stage during stage 1, and finally, it dies totally in stage 2. As soon as I chroot to /mnt/gentoo and run env-update I get the following note...

# env-update

>>> Note: /etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this.

Once I do a source /etc/profile and an emerge rsync as per the documentation, I get the same note again, but it seems to continue fine, and after it finishes, I have the file /etc/make.profile

I edit the /etc/make.conf file and use the following options...

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"

All seems well, so I run /scripts/bootstrap.sh to begin stage 2, and go have a few Coke's, etc. About an hour or so later, seemingly right after gcc has finished being compiled, I get the following error...

>>> original instance of package unmerged safely.
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache
>>> sys-devel/gcc-2.95.3.r5 merged.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
* Processed 1 info files.
invalid operand: 0000
<snip>
scripts/bootstrap.sh: line 71: 752 Segmentation fault emerge $myBASELAYOUT $myGETTEXT $myBINUTILS $myGCC

So, my question is, does anyone know what is going on? Are my compiler flags too much? I'm not overclocking, the hardware is all OK, etc. Any tips/ideas/etc greatly appreciated! I have the CPU and register dumps if that would be of any use to anyone, and I can gather up any and all other info if required. Thanks in advance!

Mr. D
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, you need to do an "emerge rsync" before "env-update"

so steps are:

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
emerge rysnc
env-update
source /etc/profile

secondly, a pII is not a 686 processor I believe.. I think it's 586, so you should change that in your make.conf file
MisterD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! Well, I was following the docs as per Code Listing 17 on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml, but I'll definetely give that a try. As for the P-II not being a i686, I simply uncommented the section in the make.conf that listed the P-II as one of them, but I'll try an i586 and see if it cures that as well. Thanks again!

Mr. D
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, let me know how you go

try compileing with 686 if you want, I'm not sure.. if you have windows still, use wcpuid or sisoft sandra to see what generation your cpu is
MisterD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, confirmed that a P-II is in fact of the i686 architecture, but no luck trying the emerge rsync before the env-update, all that did was create the note as well. But this time, I chose cpu=i686 instead of march=i686, and it's not done the bootstrap.sh script yet, but it's a lot further along than it ever got before! Seems strange, but it's working, and I'm thinking cpu=i686 should be almost as fast as march=i686. Got a 2 P-III's and a P-IV to go up next, it had better let me march=i686 them! Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated, need to go see if it's done installing yet!

Mr D.

p.s. When I went to check on it after this posting, it had crashed sometime during stage 3, cc1 caught a Sig 11, so it looks like the hardware is sour :? <sigh>. Oh well, on to the next machine!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: