Yoga 13 crashes and ask for general troubleshooting advice
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angrychile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Yoga 13 crashes and ask for general troubleshooting advice Reply with quote

Hi all, I've been dealing with random crashes with a yoga 13 since I bought it. I bought it refurbished, so right there we might have a clue of what's wrong, but due to personal reasons, I want to try to diagnose these issues rather than throwing it out.

Simply, the computer crashes without warning, the computer halts and leaves no relevant of insightful message in my logs (I use systemd, so journald specifically logs nothing). It also does not always show an oops message, so unfortunately, I have little to go on. The times it does (leave an oops) the capslock flashes. Other times, it doesn't, so I assume these are crashes for different reasons. All I have is that the crashes appear to often happen when I'm outside connecting to unstable networks, especially after a few minutes after restoring from standby. I had a lot of issues aside from crashes with the wireless card and it's unofficial driver (rtl8723au--which is still glitchy but has made it into linux as a staging driver), but I've since replaced the wireless card and still have the same issues and crashes.

I should note the computer crashes in Windows as well, so it might not be the driver. I have not tested the laptop in windows with the new wireless card, however.

Recently, I noticed ata errors in dmesg after which the computer can no longer write to disk (which means it leaves no logs, of course). So I replaced the harddrive. Given the lack of logs (a few minutes are absent in the log typically before a crash), this might be a clue. However, it worked for a day or two before crashing as it did before. If it helps, the other harddrive is still installed but is not mounted. Just in case some magic garbage is happening, I will uninstall it physically tomorrow.

Now, unless anyone is a genius or has had specific experience with this laptop, I do not expect anyone to know exactly what I should do. However, since the obvious stuff is stuff I've already tried (dmesg, journalctl, replacing faulty parts, etc...) I need any help or tips anyone else can help me with. Buying a new laptop is not an option.

Thank you if you can help me.
Angrychile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I notice, when music is playing, even though the video output freezes and keyboard does not respond (capslock doesn't light up when pressed), the music continues playing for a few minutes. Something very strange is going on.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a stab in the dark: it sounds like you might have a RAM issue. Could you try running memtest for a night or so?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: