Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stupid chromium bookmark button truncation: bug?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Stupid chromium bookmark button truncation: bug? Reply with quote

I've just built chromium and am liking it so far, but its stupid treatment of bookmark (toolbar) button titles is a major annoyance, because it makes it difficult to distinguish between some bookmarks. I'm just checking to see if anyone knows how to fix this (I've Googled without success), or if I should file a bug.

Here's an example of the stupidity: a button with a long title like "Yahoo Answers" displays the entire text, just like that...but then for no obvious reason, seemingly at random, some SHORTER button titles will be annoyingly truncated, so that for example "Weather" displays as "Weat...". The end result is a weird mixture of legible and illegible buttons, all of different lengths that don't seem to be related in any way to their contents or to any settings I can find.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's using a broken method of calculating the font width, so it ends up rounding down 1px too short (or something like that) and the label automatically truncates to fit. Seems to work with different fonts, but that's obviously not a good solution. File a bug for it.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Stupid chromium bookmark button truncation: bug? Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Seems to work with different fonts, but that's obviously not a good solution.

Thank you: it's a perfectly good solution for me. Changing the system font to Bitstream Vera Sans Roman leaves me with a font that's really no worse than the one I was using, and now Chromium's bookmark buttons all display correctly.
Ant P. wrote:
File a bug for it.

I had a look through the Linux bugs for chromium and there are already dozens filed for font rendering issues, so rather than read through all of them or file a duplicate bug report, I'm going to assume that the broken method you've described will eventually be fixed: meanwhile, this workaround solves the problem nicely. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: