View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BullShark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Urxvt + screen display problem Reply with quote

In the image below, I am having a display problem with urxvt. It only happens when running with screen though which for me is 99% of the time.

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/5t75tnkx/urxvt_bugged.png

I have tried various different TERM variable settings. There's one outside of screen and one used inside of screen. I uncomment one at a time in my .zshrc

Code:
#export TERM=rxvt
#export TERM=rxvt-unicode
#export TERM=screen
#export TERM=sun
export TERM=xterm
#export TERM=xterm-xfree86
#export TERM=xterm-color
#export TERM=ansi
#export TERM=linux
#export TERM=dumb
#export TERM=vt52
#export TERM=vt100
#export TERM=vt200
#export TERM=vt220
#export TERM=vt102
#export TERM=screen-256color

Same with my .screenrc

Code:

#term xterm-color
#term screen-256color
term xterm

Last I had tried was setting all to xterm because somebody told me that worked for him.

My use flags for urxvt and screen are as follows:

Code:
bullshark@gentoobeast ~ % equery uses x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for x11-terms/rxvt-unicode-9.15:
 U I
 + + 256-color            : Enable 256 color support
 - - afterimage           : Enable transparency support using media-libs/libafterimage (deprecated in 9.15, removed in 9.16)
 + + alt-font-width       : Calculate the font width using a different method
 + + blink                : Enable blinking text
 + + buffer-on-clear      : Store visible output to history buffer when clearing the screen with ctrl-l. Read
                            https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129302
 + + fading-colors        : Enable colors fading when off focus
 + + focused-urgency      : Enable the urgent flag when a terminal window is focused
 + + font-styles          : Enable support for bold and italic fonts
 - - iso14755             : Enable ISO-14755 support
 + + mousewheel           : Enable scrolling via mouse wheel or buttons 4 and 5
 + + perl                 : Enable perl script support. You can still disable this at runtime with -pe ""
 + + pixbuf               : Enable transparency support using gtk's pixbuf
 + + secondary-wheel      : Support for wheel scrolling on secondary screens (like mutt). Read
                            http://lists.schmorp.de/pipermail/rxvt-unicode/2011q4/001491.html
 + + startup-notification : Enable application startup event feedback mechanism
 + + unicode3             : Use 21 instead of 16 bits to represent unicode characters
 - - vanilla              : Do not add extra patches which change default behaviour; DO NOT USE THIS ON A GLOBAL SCALE as the
                            severity of the meaning changes drastically
 + + wcwidth              : Enable wide char width support
 + + xft                  : Build with support for XFT font renderer (x11-libs/libXft)
bullshark@gentoobeast ~ % equery uses app-misc/screen
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for app-misc/screen-4.0.3-r6:
 U I
 - - debug     : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see
                 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 + + multiuser : Enable multiuser support (by setting correct permissions)
 - - nethack   : Express error messages in nethack style
 + + pam       : Adds support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) - DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
bullshark@gentoobeast ~ %

Taking a look at the official Urxvt page, I noticed this:

Quote:

I use Gentoo, and I have a problem...

There are three big problems with Gentoo Linux: first of all, most if not all Gentoo systems are completely broken (missing or mismatched header files, broken compiler etc. are just the tip of the iceberg); secondly, the Gentoo maintainer thinks it is a good idea to add broken patches to the code; and lastly, it should be called Gentoo GNU/Linux.

For these reasons, it is impossible to support rxvt-unicode on Gentoo. Problems appearing on Gentoo systems will usually simply be ignored unless they can be reproduced on non-Gentoo systems.

ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Urxvt + screen display problem Reply with quote

BullShark wrote:
Taking a look at the official Urxvt page, I noticed this:

Quote:

I use Gentoo, and I have a problem...

There are three big problems with Gentoo Linux: first of all, most if not all Gentoo systems are completely broken (missing or mismatched header files, broken compiler etc. are just the tip of the iceberg); secondly, the Gentoo maintainer thinks it is a good idea to add broken patches to the code; and lastly, it should be called Gentoo GNU/Linux.

For these reasons, it is impossible to support rxvt-unicode on Gentoo. Problems appearing on Gentoo systems will usually simply be ignored unless they can be reproduced on non-Gentoo systems.
This is mostly baloney nowadays. The default in Gentoo is the +vanilla USE flag for urxvt. This means that no changes are made to the upstream package. If it doesn't work with +vanilla, then it is an upstream bug however they may want to shrug it off.

That said, screen works fine for me in urxvt. I use TERM=rxvt-unicode in urxvt and when I run screen I noticed that TERM=screen.
BullShark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Urxvt + screen display problem Reply with quote

Quote:
The default in Gentoo is the +vanilla USE flag for urxvt. This means that no changes are made to the upstream package. If it doesn't work with +vanilla, then it is an upstream bug however they may want to shrug it off.

That said, screen works fine for me in urxvt. I use TERM=rxvt-unicode in urxvt and when I run screen I noticed that TERM=screen.

Are you setting TERM=rxvt-unicode in .bashrc/.zshrc and TERM=screen with term screen in .screenrc?

I'm using zsh, and the .zshrc gets read again for each window in screen. Then it's overriden by what's in .screenrc? I don't know if this causes a problem or not.

I've tried using your TERM settings, and I still have the bug. Is your urxvt built with vanilla flag enabled?
fb0x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with TERM=screen-256color
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Urxvt + screen display problem Reply with quote

BullShark wrote:
Quote:
The default in Gentoo is the +vanilla USE flag for urxvt. This means that no changes are made to the upstream package. If it doesn't work with +vanilla, then it is an upstream bug however they may want to shrug it off.

Are you setting TERM=rxvt-unicode in .bashrc/.zshrc and TERM=screen with term screen in .screenrc?

I'm using zsh, and the .zshrc gets read again for each window in screen. Then it's overriden by what's in .screenrc? I don't know if this causes a problem or not.

I've tried using your TERM settings, and I still have the bug. Is your urxvt built with vanilla flag enabled?
No. I don't set TERM to anything. It is the defaults
Code:
~» grep -n  TERM .zshrc /etc/env.d/* /etc/zsh/* /etc/profile* 2> /dev/null
.zshrc:82:alias ssh="TERM=xterm ssh -C -Y"
.zshrc:130:    if [[ $TERM = rxvt-unicode* ]]; then
.zshrc:225:# Set the window title -- but only for X-terminals: temporarily use TERM
.zshrc:227:    if [[ $TERM != "linux" ]]; then
.zshrc:272:if [[ $TERM = xterm* ]]; then
By the way, my USE for urxvt are the following:
Code:
~» emerge -pv rxvt-unicode

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] x11-terms/rxvt-unicode-9.15  USE="256-color fading-colors focused-urgency font-styles mousewheel perl xft -afterimage -alt-font-width -blink -buffer-on-clear -iso14755 -pixbuf -secondary-wheel -startup-notification -unicode3 -vanilla -wcwidth" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: