Xen: Invalid Magic Number
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Xen: Invalid Magic Number Reply with quote

When I try to boot gentoo with xen in grub I get an error that says "error: Invalid Magic Number". I suspect I may have gotten some step from the wiki wrong.

All my kernel options match those in the wiki, It's this bit:

Quote:

The shown kernel configuration should allow the kernel image to boot both as a host as well as a guest. However, if you want to, you can slim down the guest image kernel considerably. Refer to the Xen documentation for more information.
Once the kernel is built you'll find the kernel image immediately in the build directory (not inside arch/ or any other directory) called vmlinuz . Copy it to /boot and then configure your bootloader to use the Xen hypervisor (one of the components installed previously) which is stored as /boot/xen.gz . In the bootloader configuration, add your newly built kernel as the kernel that Xen should boot. For instance, for GRUB:

That is confusing me. How I understood it is that I am to copy vmlinux from /usr/src/linux/ (there is no vmlinuz, I assume the name was recently changed) to /boot/ and then try to boot from one of the xen.gz files already existing in /boot/.

So I just renamed xen.gz to kernel-xen for grub to autodtect it and then run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg grub is working as expected, I go to advanced options for gentoo and load gentoo with xen from there but then I get that invalid magic number error. I also tried to edit the grub entry and boot from the vmlinux image instead of the renamed gzip, but I just got the same error.

What did I miss?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: