Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which version of MythTV are people running?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:

I'm also beside myself that, in 0.27, they did away with the Channel Record option (record any time on this channel) and forced the use of a filter for this.

Ick! That's my normal mode of operating. I never had much luck with their filters, but I guess I haven't tried them since something like 0.22 or so.

OTOH, since the logserver problem is still present on 0.27, there's no compelling reason to skip 0.26 for me, and now I see good reason to stay there for a while.

Anyone running MythWeb?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

Ick! That's my normal mode of operating. I never had much luck with their filters, but I guess I haven't tried them since something like 0.22 or so.

OTOH, since the logserver problem is still present on 0.27, there's no compelling reason to skip 0.26 for me, and now I see good reason to stay there for a while.

Anyone running MythWeb?

Actually, since 0.27 allows you to bag the logserver altogether and log just as was done in 0.25.3 (logging to the files directly from individual processes), that's specifically why I am going with 0.27.

I use mythweb a lot...no clue if it changed substancially in newer releases.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...big about-face here:

I've just been told on the mailing list that using the --nologserver command line option does in fact do console logging ONLY, and the only way to get file logging functionality without mythlogserver is to compile with the --disable-logserver config option.

I'll start looking into that tomorrow. Anyone know offhand if the current 0.27 ebuilds use that?

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
I'm sure --nologserver will work, just went the easy way and rm'd the offender.

Just curious...when you remove the executable, exactly where does your mythbackend and mythfrontend log? Does it create the same individual log files under /var/log/mythtv?

I can see that the existing ebuilds in fact do NOT set --disable-logserver. Apparently a lot of distros are setting that when they package mythtv. I may put a version in my overlay with that.

Is it me, or does the amount of stuff the mythtv project puts users through around logging seem to know no end at all? First there was the change to all the cryptically named log files in 0.25, which caused all sorts of logrotate headaches. Then there was mythlogserver in 0.26 which seems to have been a wold of hurt. Now even in 0.27 where, hopefully, that can be done away with, it's taking 1000 questions just to find out how it all works now...tiresome to put it nicely.

Tom
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to go and hook up a monitor to my backend (which is not in an easily accessible location). There is no trace of logging into any files.
In my frontend, however, I can see it logs to tty1 - the console I used to log in and run startx ...
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that would make sense. I logged an enhancement bug suggesting a possible USE flag to allow the --disable-logserver configure option:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=493396

When I upgrade I'm going to add that option in an overlay ebuild.

Tom
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Request for simple help...

I believe I've finally gotten past (avoiding) the gnome-4.8 upgrade of last week and it's getting time to upgrade to 0.26. I need to do the timezone table check, for real. At this point I've forgotten the link that told how to do it. At the MythTV wiki they have a few cryptic lines for 0.26 or 0.27, but I don't see what to run if you're checking for moving to 0.26. Nor are the lines complete, they assume that you've already started a mysql session.

I only do anything with mysql when I have mythtv problems - like right now, so I've forgotten how to get started. Does anyone have a "complete" procedure on how to check for the timezone table?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen those instructions, and I'm not sure what you mean by a "complete" check of the timezone tables. I work with MySQL all the time. The only way I know of to load the timezone tables is via the sql generated by the mysql_tzinfo_to_sql program, as described in the MythTV wikis. Assuming you've done that they should be fine.

As far as I know, the following (which I ran on my backend system) would not work without them (note that I've obfiscated the password):

Code:
mysql -u mythtv -p****** mythconverg -e "SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'UTC')"
+---------------------+------------------------------------------------+
| CURRENT_TIMESTAMP   | CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'UTC') |
| 2013-12-07 08:20:05 | 2013-12-07 13:20:05                            |

You could also try another one. Here's one converting from my system time zone (eastern time) to another:

Code:
mysql -u mythtv -p****** mythconverg -e "SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'America/Los_Angeles')"
+---------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| CURRENT_TIMESTAMP   | CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'America/Los_Angeles') |
+---------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| 2013-12-07 08:22:01 | 2013-12-07 05:22:01                                            |

I'd think that'd be way more than enough of a test.

You
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I was looking for:
Code:
# mysql -u mythtv -p******** mythconverg -e "SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'UTC')"
| CURRENT_TIMESTAMP   | CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'UTC') |
| 2013-12-07 09:05:04 | 2013-12-07 14:05:04                            |
#

Looks like I'm good to go. Maybe tomorrow morning is the time. I tend to be up before the rest of the family, so weekend mornings are usually software maintenance time.

EDIT - and just for fun...
Code:
# mysql -u mythtv -p******** mythconverg -e "SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'America/New_York')"
+---------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| CURRENT_TIMESTAMP   | CONVERT_TZ(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, 'SYSTEM', 'America/New_York') |
+---------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| 2013-12-07 09:08:21 | 2013-12-07 09:08:21                                         |
#

I need to save this away, as a starting point for next time I have a mysql-related mythtv issue.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm testing things for my upgrade. This one REALLY had me going:

If you need/want to apply patches (for example user patches in /etc/portage/patches/www-apps/mythweb-0.27) for mythweb-0.27, the paths in the patch files need to have mythweb-0.27/ at the beginning....for example:

Code:
--- mythweb-0.27/modules/tv/list.php   2012-09-03 11:16:03.000000000 -0400
+++ mythweb-0.27/modules/tv/list.php   2012-09-03 11:26:09.000000000 -0400

That one took me a while to figure out.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note: In several places here I referred to the new 0.27 configure option --disable-logserver. That was incorrect...the correct option is --disable-mythlogserver.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! My upgrade from 0.25.3 to 0.27 appears to have gone flawlessly! Very cool stuff.

I'm going to note on that bug I opened that the addition of --disable-mythlogserver to the ebuild worked great. Everything is logging to /var/log/mythtv as expected with no mythlogserver running.

Tom
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that "--disable-mythlogserver" option is new to 0.27 - is there a chance it's on 0.26 as well?

I sometimes use the logs to find out when things go bad. I presume "rm -f" or "chmod -x" means that nothing will get logged? Is it a certainty that the logserver is going to misbehave? Does anyone understand the problem, or have fixes?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The --disable-mythlogserver option is only in 0.27 as far as I know.

I'm actually not clear as to specifically what issues people had with mythlogserver, but apparently some did. I get the impression that one of it's main purposes was for debugging, as you'd never loose the last log message from a program that aborts for example. For most peoples purposes, I think there's no real advantage of using it, which is why they made it optional in 0.27.

And yes, I think that is you remove the executable or it's execute permissions, you'll just get console logging.

I'm really happy with how my 0.25.3 -> 2.37 upgrade has gone...everything's working great. I copied the standard ebuild to my local overlay (with a sym link to the live files directory) and made this change to it:

Code:
diff -u /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.27_p20131124.ebuild /usr/local/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.27_p20131124.ebuild
--- /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.27_p20131124.ebuild   2013-11-26 21:51:54.000000000 -0500
+++ /usr/local/portage/media-tv/mythtv/mythtv-0.27_p20131124.ebuild   2013-12-07 12:08:43.000000000 -0500
@@ -245,6 +245,9 @@
    has distcc ${FEATURES} || myconf="${myconf} --disable-distcc"
    has ccache ${FEATURES} || myconf="${myconf} --disable-ccache"

+# ADDED BY TOM
+   myconf="${myconf} --disable-mythlogserver"
+
    chmod +x ./external/FFmpeg/version.sh

einfo "Running ./configure ${myconf}"

...and I'm getting file logging just as in 0.25.3 with no mythlogserver. Working great.

Tom
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juat a note.... I moved to 0.26 Sunday, and so far (knock on wood) mythlogserver has stayed pretty much below 1% CPU utilization.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, mine consumed twice as much as mythbackend process, and sometimes just filled the memory with numerous logserver instances, slowing the backend to a crawl. I had less trouble with 0.27, but the issue stiil is there.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up FYI: As I noted in the gentoo bug I started around supporting --disable-mythlogserver, I ended up having to abandon that one.

Apparently, while that option causes the logs to be written in a manner much like that in 0.25.3, there apparently is no longer any logic to reopen log files via a HUP signal anywhere except in mythlogserver. As a result, after a weekly log rotation, I found my mythbackend actively logging to the rotated file (under the "old" directory with a .1 at the end of the file name).

So apparently, unless you can enable syslog logging, there's simply no way to handle log rotation with that option.

I just recompiled today with the standard ebuild. So far it doesn't appear that anything I do causes any issues with multiple mytlogserver processes etc.

Tom
ashdash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Be aware of this bug. Reply with quote

If you are going to emerge mythtv-0.27_p20130924 or mythtv-0.27_p20131124 be aware of this bug

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=496046 which is duplicate of 489912.

CFLAGS with spaces are getting mangled. I had to disable distcc and set CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=native" from
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=amdfam10 -mcx16 -msahf -mno-movbe -mno-aes -mno-pclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-tbm -mno-avx -mno-sse4.2 -mno-sse4.1 --param l1-cache-size=64 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=1024 -mtune=amdfam10".

All the flags after -pipe are derived from the command gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1 so that the correct cpu optimizations get passed to the other machines in the distcc pool. I guess, depending on the processors being used, some strings could be ok. My processors are AMD of various flavours.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: