Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
(solved)safe yet to remove '/var/run' from my ~amd64 laptop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: (solved)safe yet to remove '/var/run' from my ~amd64 laptop? Reply with quote

I've been running ~ on my laptop for about 5 years now (~amd64 for the last 3). I know that '/var/run' is being deprecated in favor of '/run' and ultimately those ebuilds that create something in '/var/run' will do so only at runtime. Lately, I've been getting cryptic post-install messages in portage that I believe are advising me to remove '/var/run'. However, I'm not about to do so until I'm sure that there won't be any negative repercussions to my system.

So the question is, are all of the packages that are in the portage tree now compliant with '/run' or are there still some stragglers that have yet to make the switch from '/var/run'?

The follow-up question of course is, is it now safe then to delete '/var/run' (which is now just a symlink pointing to '/run')?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Ciao

Edit: I did some searching on Gentoo bugzilla and found this bug report tracker: Bug 332633 https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332633

At the time of this posting, it appears that it isn't safe to remove the symlink to '/run' now or in the near future. I'll just sit tight then and wait until these issues get sorted out.
pkturner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: helpful Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your investigation. It's helpful when we see those "cryptic post-install messages".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: