Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lenovo Thinkpad E530: boot always halts (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Lenovo Thinkpad E530: boot always halts (solved) Reply with quote

This is getting beyond me. Got a new Lenovo Thinkpad E530 with a i7-3632QM, 8GB, 1TB HD, 16GB SSD, GT 635M video and a 1600x900 anti-glare screen. Got it mostly because of the screen.

When I came home, I booted in the BIOS and noticed the thing was in UEFI. Changed the "secure boot" setting to disabled. Also changed the boot mode to "legacy only". According to the Bios info available this would allow any OS to boot.

The only thing I'm not sure about is "OS optimized Defaults [Enabled]". According to the info besides it it means "The default value of settings below are changed accordingly. Select "Enabled" to meet Microsoft (R) Windows 8 (R) Certification Requirement". However there are no settings below and a big red panel shows up if I try to change it. So I left it.

Downloaded the current minimal and booted from there. Partitioned the disk in 4 partitions with gdisk. The disk is a 512/4096 type but I followed the info I found in a thread to set the multiple at 8 to have the partitions at boundaries. That seemed to work as I didn't get any messages while formatting.
/dev/sda1 /boot 100M ext2
/dev/sda2 swap 2G
/dev/sda3 / 100G reiserfs
/dev/sda4 /data (not yet used) XFS

What I'm not sure here is that when I start gdisk I get from the partition table scan "MBR: protective". Can anyone tell me what that means and if it is OK?

Next I followed the handbook to the letter and in configuring the kernel I disabled everything that look as not applicable. So I removed everything about "amateur radio", "amd cpus", etc. Build the kernel and booted. But it always hangs with:

"[ 2.50755] ACPI: Thermal Zone [TZ01] 30 C)"

I also see a few lines above:

"[ 2.002291] Linux agpgart interface v0.103
[ 2.002483] nvidiafb 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
[ 2.004300] nvidiafb: Device ID: 10de0de3
[ 2.004395] nvidiafb: unknown NV_ARCH"

So it looks as if the video isn't not ok. I tried with no framebuffer enabled, but then it craps out with Nouveau that doesn't find a device.

[EDIT] Even worse, it looks as if this one of those laptops with both an integrated and discrete video that can switch between them.

Strange thing is that there isn't even a /var/log/dmesg.

I'm not sure how to go further. So far I have installed Gentoo on a few pc's and laptops and mostly it boots into the kernel first time and I only have to redo the kernel for things like SDcard chipsets etc. But this is the first time I cannot get a kernel to boot at all. Thing is that with that UEFI I'm not even sure I have the BIOS setting right. Or with that GPT hd that that is ok (first time I have to boot from such a disk).

Last edited by Spanik on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it boots. Had to add support for:
- swap between discrete and integrated graphics
- AHCI sata
- Intel integrated video
- removed tempzone from acpi settings (not sure if that is needed)

Still a lot of work needed: no network...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: