Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden Reply with quote

Defense Secretary Panetta Admits Information from Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden

Quote:
Yes, waterboarding worked.

Today on Meet the Press Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta admitted that information gleaned from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him.

“The real story was that in order to put the puzzle of intelligence together that led us to Bin Laden, there were a lot of pieces out there that were a part of that puzzle. Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used. But the fact is we put together most of that intelligence without having to resort to that.”

This was not the first time Panetta admitted that enhanced interrogation techniques led the US to Bin Laden. He made similar comments back in May 2011.


So there you go, mcgruff. Obama's only victory came because of a Bush policy he opposed.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least they didn't lie when they criticized a certain movie for suggesting torture was used and a key factor.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Well, at least they didn't lie when they criticized a certain movie for suggesting torture was used and a key factor.


The way they try to bury the truth and sell the opposite is so sickening. And what's amazing is how many complete idiots believe them.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
The way they try to bury the truth and sell the opposite is so sickening. And what's amazing is how many complete idiots believe them.
I'm almost to the point where I don't blame administrations, since people reelect them, it would confirm "they must approve of what we're doing." Which is why I'm so concerned about the pendulum swinging in the other direction. "Hey, we were overwhelmingly elected, that must mean we have a mandate!"

That said, the administration is still guilty of the crime.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterboarding Led US to Bin Laden Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
So there you go, mcgruff. Obama's only victory came because of a Bush policy he opposed


Have you lost the power of reading..?

Quote:
Today on Meet the Press Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta admitted that information gleaned from waterboarded detainees was used to track down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and kill him.

“The real story was that in order to put the puzzle of intelligence together that led us to Bin Laden, there were a lot of pieces out there that were a part of that puzzle. Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used. But the fact is we put together most of that intelligence without having to resort to that.”

This was not the first time Panetta admitted that enhanced interrogation techniques led the US to Bin Laden. He made similar comments back in May 2011.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is, most of a door is not the key. It's revisionism. CBS went so far as to the take those very same words, letter for letter, and put them under a headline that says "Panetta: Waterboarding Did Not Lead to Bin Laden". Ministry of Fucking Truth. It's absolutely mind-boggling. :lol: :roll:

What Panetta said was:

a) waterboarding was not the only source of intelligence used to get bin Laden; other intelligence was important too

b) (when a reporter prompted him) we would have eventually got him without using waterboarding

That does NOT equate to "Waterboarding did not lead to Bin Laden".

I think we live in a world now entirely without integrity: entirely without honor, professionalism or even basic dignity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 02 Jan 2003
Posts: 1592
Location: Gentoo64 land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I think we live in a world now entirely without integrity: entirely without honor, professionalism or even basic dignity.

so you've been watching The Jersey Shore again?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No: Fox News.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I think we live in a world now entirely without integrity: entirely without honor, professionalism or even basic dignity.

so you've been watching The Jersey Shore again?

Whoever came up with the idea for that show should be shot.

In fact, they should take everybody associated in way with reality TV and put them all in a cargo ship and then scuttle it in the most shark-infested spot off the Antarctic ice shelf. The cable news people they can strand on Easter Island or something while they're on their way down there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like bullshit to me. Saying they used the information they got from water boarding is not remotely the same as saying water boarding led to bin Laden.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they "used the information" to make dinner.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Sounds like bullshit to me. Saying they used the information they got from water boarding is not remotely the same as saying water boarding led to bin Laden.

Yeah, it pretty much is, especially when you take into consideration the actual facts of what information was obtained and how it was used, rather than these vague generalizations. They just don't want to say it, because they don't want to promote the idea that torture works, and I'd say that's a responsible thing to do. What's not responsible is activist journalists trying to twist those words into the opposite of the reality.

People should say what they mean. Torture is bad. People shouldn't do it. In this case, a mild form of torture was used in a few cases, and it probably shouldn't have been. It just so happens that it did produce some valuable results, including enabling us to finally hunt down bin Laden. Although people put a lot of value on taking him out, that does not justify using torture, and we should renew our commitment to systematic rejection of the idea. We don't need doublespeak, historical revisionism, or Jedi mind tricks to do that.


Last edited by Bones McCracker on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon bon and hot stone massage ought to work.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Sounds like bullshit to me. Saying they used the information they got from water boarding is not remotely the same as saying water boarding led to bin Laden.


Also, it ain't right. We aren't going to win "hearts and minds" by pulling tricks like this. Each act like this will get distorted to the nth degree and shown to the masses. It is probably idealistic, but keeping as much of our integrity as possible in such ugly conflicts should be priority number 1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
a mild form of torture was used


Yeah. Like a titty twister or sumthin'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Yeah, it pretty much is, especially when you take into consideration the actual facts of what information was obtained and how it was used, rather than these vague generalizations.

You had better fill me in on the actual facts because you are contradicting what I believed up to now.

Maybe we should define our terms first: when I read something like "water boarding led US to bin Laden," I take that to mean that the information acquired by water boarding played a crucial or a major role in locating bin Laden, and that without said information the US definitely would not or probably would not have located him in the same period of time. Is that your reading too?

I find nothing objectionable in the rest of your post.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Yeah, it pretty much is, especially when you take into consideration the actual facts of what information was obtained and how it was used, rather than these vague generalizations.

You had better fill me in on the actual facts because you are contradicting what I believed up to now.

Maybe we should define our terms first: when I read something like "water boarding led US to bin Laden," I take that to mean that the information acquired by water boarding played a crucial or a major role in locating bin Laden, and that without said information the US definitely would not or probably would not have located him in the same period of time.


And that is the truth of the matter.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shit left by Oblabla's dog led to Bin Laden, after he stepped into it. No word about who he might be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Yeah, it pretty much is, especially when you take into consideration the actual facts of what information was obtained and how it was used, rather than these vague generalizations.

You had better fill me in on the actual facts because you are contradicting what I believed up to now.

Maybe we should define our terms first: when I read something like "water boarding led US to bin Laden," I take that to mean that the information acquired by water boarding played a crucial or a major role in locating bin Laden, and that without said information the US definitely would not or probably would not have located him in the same period of time. Is that your reading too?

I find nothing objectionable in the rest of your post.

That would be a fair interpretation of "waterboarding led to bin Laden". That is also a fair description of what happened. The existence of the courier (the fact that only one man was in communication with him and knew is actual location), the courier's approximate location, and a pseudonym (i.e. code name) being used by al Qaeda to refer to him, were obtained by water-boarding. The CIA used this information to launch a hunt for the courier, and they watched the courier to identify possible locations where bin Laden was.

So, information obtained by water-boarding provided a critical break-through that did indeed lead to the location of bin Laden. Was other intelligence used? Of course. Lots of it. Would we have eventually got him anyway? Undoubtedly, although the chances are we'd still be looking for him now, he might have died or become pretty much irrelevant before we ever got him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That would be a fair interpretation of "waterboarding led to bin Laden". That is also a fair description of what happened. The existence of the courier (the fact that only one man was in communication with him and knew is actual location), the courier's approximate location, and a pseudonym (i.e. code name) being used by al Qaeda to refer to him, were obtained by water-boarding. The CIA used this information to launch a hunt for the courier, and they watched the courier to identify possible locations where bin Laden was.

Hmm... Based on skimming a couple of reports, I'm not sure I share your conclusions about what was obtained from water boarding. But that's not the important thing...

Quote:
So, information obtained by water-boarding provided a critical break-through that did indeed lead to the location of bin Laden. Was other intelligence used? Of course. Lots of it. Would we have eventually got him anyway? Undoubtedly, although the chances are we'd still be looking for him now, he might have died or become pretty much irrelevant before we ever got him.

The important thing is, does finding bin Laden vindicate the use of torture? Right wingers crowing about this seem to think it does, and that this is some kind of victory for them.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 145

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't take much to confirm their simple-minded prejudices, bless 'em.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
The important thing is, does finding bin Laden vindicate the use of torture? Right wingers crowing about this seem to think it does, and that this is some kind of victory for them.

You already have my position on that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
You already have my position on that.

Yes. I agreed with what you wrote.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
It doesn't take much to confirm their simple-minded prejudices, bless 'em.

The funny part is that you weren't even trying to be ironic. You're a walking self-parody. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum