Inconsistency detected by ld.so: elf_machine_rela_relative
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Inconsistency detected by ld.so: elf_machine_rela_relative Reply with quote

About five days ago I started getting this message on a stable x86_64 with no-multilib.
Code:
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine.h: 460: elf_machine_rela_relative: Assertion `((reloc->r_info) & 0xffffffff) == 8' failed!
The message occurs when trying to run some software but not others. It's left the machine partially broken. Startup works, as does X, but not emacs nor pinentry, nor chromium, etc. They all give exactly the same message. It's also stopping some compiling, namely gtk+, anything emacs, etc.

I did a bit of searching on the error message and found that it is often associated with bad memory. However, I ran memtest extensively and got no errors. It appears from further searching (e.g., at http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob_plain;f=sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine.h that dl-machine.h is from glibc. I'm currently running the newest stable version of glibc on x86_64 (2.15-r3) along with the newest corresponding stable linux-headers (3.6) and the newest stable kernel (3.6.11-gentoo). I don't think glibc, linux-headers, or the kernel have anything to do with the problem, however, as they have not been updated in the last five days or so.

Does anyone have any idea of what this message is about or how to solve the problem?
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to arrive back at a working machine by checking out the packages involved in building the broken software (i.e., equery g <package>). After rebuilding mesa cairo glib pango atk gdk-pixbuf, everything that was broken began to work again. I am can guess the original (or ongoing) problem is bad memory, since the only posts about this kind of ld.so error message all talked about bad hardware, and also because I now occasionally get a buffer overflow message when building a package--though perhaps that is the new 3.7.4 kernel I installed. I never run into any problem like this in years of using Gentoo, so I image hardware is the problem. We'll see. It's an old machine...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: