Installing XFCE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltamalloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Installing XFCE Reply with quote

After struggling a lot with emerging and getting xorg-server to work, I now have the following problem when emerging XFCE:

Code:

Total: 217 packages (4 upgrades, 208 new, 1 in new slot, 4 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 247,920 kB
Conflict: 3 blocks (1 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-libs/glib:2

(dev-libs/glib-2.32.4-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    <dev-libs/glib-2.33:2 required by (dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.32.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(dev-libs/glib-2.34.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/glib-2.33.12:2 required by (gnome-base/gvfs-1.14.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

sys-auth/pambase:0

(sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-auth/pambase[consolekit] required by (sys-auth/polkit-0.110::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

virtual/udev:0

(virtual/udev-171::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    =virtual/udev-171[gudev] required by (xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    <virtual/udev-196 required by (sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.88::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (and 8 more with the same problems)

(virtual/udev-197::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=virtual/udev-197 required by (sys-fs/udev-197-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (and 2 more with the same problem)

sys-fs/udev:0

(sys-fs/udev-197-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/udev-197-r3[gudev?,hwdb?,introspection?,keymap?,selinux?,static-libs?] required by (virtual/udev-197::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-fs/udev-171-r9::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    ~sys-fs/udev-171[gudev?,hwdb?,introspection?,keymap?,selinux?] required by (virtual/udev-171::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

sys-apps/hwids:0

(sys-apps/hwids-20121119::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(sys-apps/hwids-20130114::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/hwids-20121202.2[udev] required by (sys-fs/udev-197-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

I'm using the command: emerge -avt xfce4-meta

My make.conf file:

Code:

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="bindist"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/gentoo/ rsync://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/gentoo/"

SYNC="rsync://rsync5.se.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

USE="-gnome -kde -minimal -qt4 dbus jpeg lock session startup-notification thunar udev X consolekit policykit hwdb udisks"
#USE="xorg udev libkms gtk gnome alsa python -kde"
#USE="-xorg udev libkms gtk gnome alsa python -kde"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

I'm using the guide at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml but I added the additional variables to USE because emerge said they were required after my first attempt at emerging.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you need to upgrade dev-libs/gobject-introspection and sys-fs/lvm2:

Code:

# emerge -1 gobject-introspection lvm2

And you might possibly need to add dev-libs/gobject-introspection to package.keywords if dev-libs/glib is already there. If not, then don't.
deltamalloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Looks like you need to upgrade dev-libs/gobject-introspection and sys-fs/lvm2:

Code:

# emerge -1 gobject-introspection lvm2

And you might possibly need to add dev-libs/gobject-introspection to package.keywords if dev-libs/glib is already there. If not, then don't.

I tried the provided command, the compiler halted with the following error:

Code:

-o dmsetup.static dmsetup.o -ldevmapper -lselinux -lsepol -ludev -lrt    -ludev -lrt 
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lselinux
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [dmsetup.static] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.88/work/LVM2.2.02.88/tools'
make: *** [tools.device-mapper] Error 2
emake failed

It seems that SELinux is the culprit. However, shouldn't it be possible to install XFCE with SELinux enabled?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deltamalloc wrote:

Code:

-o dmsetup.static dmsetup.o -ldevmapper -lselinux -lsepol -ludev -lrt    -ludev -lrt 
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.4/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lselinux
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.88/work/LVM2.2.02.88/tools'
emake failed

It seems that SELinux is the culprit. However, shouldn't it be possible to install XFCE with SELinux enabled?

Of course it's possible to install Xfce with SELinux enable or disable but your issue is so outdated the dependency chain goes way down to your system.

I don't know why you are trying to emerge so old lvm2, but you should be trying at least version lvm2-2.02.97-r1 for the udev version that is getting pulled in your paste earlier.

So add "~sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.97-r1" to /etc/portage/package.keywords (without the "" of course) and try again. You can also try to disable USE="static" for sys-fs/lvm2, like adding "sys-fs/lvm2 -static" to /etc/portage/package.use

In other words, fix your system before trying to install Xfce.
deltamalloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
deltamalloc wrote:

Code:

emake failed

Of course it's possible to install Xfce with SELinux enable or disable but your issue is so outdated the dependency chain goes way down to your system.

I don't know why you are trying to emerge so old lvm2, but you should be trying at least version lvm2-2.02.97-r1 for the udev version that is getting pulled in your paste earlier.

So add "~sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.97-r1" to /etc/portage/package.keywords (without the "" of course) and try again. You can also try to disable USE="static" for sys-fs/lvm2, like adding "sys-fs/lvm2 -static" to /etc/portage/package.use

In other words, fix your system before trying to install Xfce.

I don't have that file, so I'll simply create it then. Although I'm curious what could have broken my system, I have only just installed it by following the guide at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
The only aberration being that I'm using SELinux and that I have installed a emerged a few things like "vim", "links", and perhaps a few others. I'm new to Gentoo so I'm not sure how robust Portage is, can it be broken simply by emerging things in the wrong order or is it very sensitive to what USE flags are employed when emerging packages -- which can break it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: