Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Add dictionary to hunspell (spell checking)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palbr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Add dictionary to hunspell (spell checking) Reply with quote

For some reason, I decided to use spell checking in KDE applications today. But by default only english dictionaries got installed for hunspell on my machine (which is good - I do not need dictionaries for languages I do not use). Nevertheless, I wanted to use German spell checking.

So I googled for "gentoo hunspell add dictionary" and found no quick solution. In the end, it took me about an hour to find out. That's why, I decided to post my finding on this great forum, so others won't have to search that long.

The solution:
To install dictionaries for German spell checking, just enable the USE-Flag "linguas_de" on the package "app-text/hunspell".

In short:
Code:
echo "app-text/hunspell linguas_de" >> /etc/portage/package.use

This will install "app-dicts/myspell-de", which is used as German dictionary by hunspell.

To list all dictionaries available for hunspell via portage:
Code:
equery uses hunspell

At first glance, I thought these USE-Flags are to translate the hunspell-application itself (what "LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8" would do). So I "turned wrong at the first junction". But thanks to this forum and the openness of Gentoo (been able to look in the ebuild files), I found the solution in the end.

Credits:
  • post 6690571 showed me that "app-dicts/myspell-de" was, what I wanted
  • post 6288381 showed me that this dictionary gets installed by setting the USE-Flag "linguas_de"
  • and some credits to post 3547413, which was in googles top-10 search results and gives a lot of information (but it is kind of old by now and looked a lot to read, so I skipped it at first - my fault!) :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: