Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
according urxvt man -> gentoo many broken sym-links etc..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: according urxvt man -> gentoo many broken sym-links etc.. Reply with quote

man 7 urxvt:
Quote:
I use Gentoo, and I have a problem...

There are three big problems with Gentoo Linux: first of all, most if not all Gentoo systems
are completely broken (missing or mismatched header files, broken compiler etc. are just the
tip of the iceberg); secondly, the Gentoo maintainer thinks it is a good idea to add broken
patches to the code; and lastly, it should be called Gentoo GNU/Linux.

For these reasons, it is impossible to support rxvt-unicode on Gentoo. Problems appearing on
Gentoo systems will usually simply be ignored unless they can be reproduced on non-Gentoo
systems.

I've used only terminator so far and because I use it now as a guake replacement I've looked for a lighter solution and found urxvt, which I like pretty much... but then I've found this section and there are also a few threads here, which go in a similar direction (although I've not read everything carefully).
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-485087.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934312.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-944860.html
Moreover I've read somewhere else stuff like "since Daniel Robbins left one doesn't here much from gentoo" etc etc...

My experience with gentoo so far is very good. For example I've learned in the last 4 months more about linux then in the last 5 years and even so everything that I need works fine and stable.
One (or THE) reason for me to go with gentoo is that it's source based and there are no (or few like lunar with very little community support (at least I think it's that way)) other distributions like that. I like Linux Mint very much but it's something like a finished product like apple/microsoft etc what I definitely don't like. And even so gentoo is not worse than those (in the "programming environment/text editing/youtube/multimedia etc" sense).

IMO it's absolutely not understandable to criticize gentoo and I consider it as "the only true OS :) " and I want to use it for everything (and do use it for everything, at least now) like learning/understanding linux, or more generally computer systems, and for working (programming, writing texts etc), day2day stuff and so on..

Are there any serious critics that I'm not aware ? And what do you think about those things?
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a few threads and someone's old opinion on Gentoo change your own opinion? Especially if those are just claims based on experience from years long past, requests for experimental features and people thinking Gentoo will be always the same despite the OSS world changing rapidly. I think if you look at this stuff in retrospect, it shows that Gentoo has battled many issues that otherwise no other distro could have revealed and hence fixed many bugs, the developer don't just add experimental features without proper reasoning and that even though the OSS ecosystem (at least in the case of the base system) appears to be heavier these days, Gentoo can still stay clear of that within limits.

Make up your own opinion, don't let someone's opinion on something irrelevant to your use case change it. If Gentoo suits your needs, then use it. That's all.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: according urxvt man -> gentoo many broken sym-links e Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Are there any serious critics that I'm not aware ? And what do you think about those things?
Even if there were severe critics they have long been addressed. There is a USE flag "vanilla" in rxvt-unicode which will install urxvt as provided by upstream. It is turned on by default.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: