View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Compiz Alternatives? Reply with quote

Hey, just got Gentoo up and running after taking a year hiatus after rushing threw a Windows install when I bought a new ssd only to relize I used my Gentoo partion by mistake... opps lol :)

anyways... straight from the Gentoo wiki
Quote:
Compiz will shortly be deprecated. It is advisable to use an alternative OpenGL Composite Rendering Window Manager such as KWin (KDE), Mutter (Gnome), or Xfce's Xfwm.

I did find compiz bloated and was always problem central, althought it had alot to offer(in particular wobbly windows and the desktop cube). I did some googling but haven't really found much that compares so here I am outsourcing to the crowd to see what else others may have come across.

~Using xfce4.10

Thanks for any eye candy options besides compiz in advance

- Massaker
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've found is compton (a fork of xcompmgr). It is stable but has not as much to offer as compiz. Then there is cairo-compmgr which I haven't tried so far. I've tried to set up compiz as a standalone wm but failed and I don't like the ccsm GUI tool. I believe hedmo maintains an overlay for compiz...
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: