cflags compatibility index
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f4c3m3l70r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: cflags compatibility index Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I started using Gentoo 3 years ago without any gnu/linux experience before.
Wasnt that hard even the first install worked for almost for 3 years now on this pc.

But I miss a list of packages which can and cannot be optimized with certain cflags. (-flto -openmp in my case)
I really dont want to learn by doing that as long I have only one computer at home.

Does such lists exist yet?
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if there was such a list, it would have to be regularly updated as new versions of the packages and/or GCC break/improve compatibility with these flags.

As that would be very demanding and time consuming, it is unlikely that such a list would exist and if it existed, it could hardly stay up to date.

Also, such a list would be very architecture and maybe even processor dependent, so it couldn't be used by everyone.

A better approach is to let the configuration tools for each package to use the CFLAGS that are known to work, with the addition of your -march and -O2 and possibly some simple optimization like -fomit-framepointer.

As LTO becomes more standard, most packages will use it anyways if it's available. Even now some packages have the lto USE flag (in some overlays).

Use of openmp is usually controlled by the openmp USE flag, which can be enabled for packages that support it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: