Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
can't boot dell inspiron 1545 to 3.6.11 kerrnel (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: can't boot dell inspiron 1545 to 3.6.11 kerrnel (solved) Reply with quote

The device /dev/sda is found by this kernel but it finds none of the partitions, and hence won't boot.
I have already successfully updated 2 desktops and and one HP pavillion laptop to this kerne from 3.5.7
without problems, but but I am unable to succeed with the inspiron. I have checked with lspci -k
and ensured that all of the relevant kernel drivers are compiled into the kernel.

Although I normally configure my own kernel I have also tried genkernel, with no success.

Has anyone else experience a similar problem or have any insight into what is going on? The 3.7 kernel also fails to find
the partitions although it finds /dev/sda.

This is not really an emergency as the 3.5.7 kernel works just fine, but I am curious to understand the nature of the problem.

PS The rootfs is encrypted with luks and the boot process is assisted by the simple initramfs from one of the gentoo wikis, but I do no think that this is the source of the problem. The other 3 machines that I upgraded also had luks encrypted root.

Last edited by nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the exact error message? It sounds like a hard disk driver issue.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the exact error message? It sounds like a hard disk driver issue

That is not so easy to answer as my many different attempts yield many different error messages. Also, If the message is long involving technical numbers, I probably could not copy it down exactly without error.

However as it stands now, I have managed to configure the kernel with the help of make defconfig and then make menuconfig so that the partitions can now be found, but it still does not boot successfully.
Here are 2 situations:

(1) Using genkernel's initramfs: I am now asked for the encrypted root password. When I give it the response is
"mounting /dev/mapper/root as root failed: invalid argument"

(2) Using the initramfs from the gentoo wiki "a simplified initramfs for encyrpted root"
I am asked for the password. When I give it the response is
"mounting /dev/mapper/root failed: no such device"

Yet in both cases (1) and (2) my tests show that /dev/sda7, the luks encrypted root, has been detected. Specifically, by inserting
"find|grep /dev/sda7" into the init, I get "/dev/sda7", which I didn't yesterday.

Both the intramfs 's from (1) and (2) work successfully with a 3.5 kernel.

Quite the mystery as the other laptop that I upgraded successfully had the same lspci -k output, except for the network drivers.

As I mentioned this is only a puzzle to me, not a problem as the laptop works just fine on the 3.5 kernels.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have successfully configured the gentoo-sources-3.6.11 kernel so that it boots with a luks encrypted root.
I had almost achieved this by the time of my last post but, the filesystem of the root (ext4) had accidentally been removed from the configuration.

Many thanks to audiodef for offering to help and my apologies for not supplying him with the technical error messages that he would have needed to do so.

Suffice to say, upgrading from the 3.5 kernel using "make oldconfig"
did not work, although it did on my other 3 machines. However the approach mentioned in my post yesterday, plus adding ext4 (rootfstype) did.

I would be happy to share the configuration if anyone wants it, otherwise I will spare the forums the bloat of storing it forever.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: