[SOLVED] Question about the nls USE flag
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas2010
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Question about the nls USE flag Reply with quote

What exactly is nls used for? Is it used only for documentation and GUI elements (menu items, toolbar, buttons, etc.)? I only need things to be in English, but I do want to be able to see file names displayed correctly (i.e. no funky character substitutions) whether I am at the command prompt or in a file manager (vifm, Thunar, etc.). Additionally, I want to be able to read text in whatever application I am using, and if I want to add/edit text I will need to change the keyboard layout so I can type the correct letters.

If I use "USE= -nls" will I still be able to do what I want or do I need to keep the nls flag?

Last edited by Thomas2010 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveDay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NLS triggers the use of gettext to translate messages into your native language as per your locale.

I did not really know the answer to your question, so I did a little experiment. I switched from nls to -nls in my /etc/portage/make.conf and followed that with pump emerge -uDNav world. Emerge wanted to remerge 92 of aproximately 1000 packages.

I let it continue to see what the result would be. The emerge proceeded uneventfully. Since I am also a heavy vifm user, I immediately fired it up and to my surprise, I had very small fonts and a very small xterm. I am guessing this is because for some reason, it was ignoring the "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources" in my .bashrc in my home directory, which I have used to increase the size of the fonts for X so I can see them better.

Not really wanting to deal with figuring it out right now, I just flipped -nls back to nls and emerged back to my previous state.

So it does look like you might generate some issues to deal with if you eliminate nls. I have no real idea how many.

Dave
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read and write in several languages (involving ä, ö, ü), I have USE="-nls", just using en_US.UTF-8.
Thomas2010
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you both for responding. It seems like I should have no problems with USE="-nls" but I will just have to do it one application at a time to see if it is needed or not. Like I posted before, I just want the characters to display properly, I do not need the GUI elements to use anything but English.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: