which comes first ? resolved
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightlite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: which comes first ? resolved Reply with quote

Hello

In 48 hours I'm planning to get a new motherboard (but exactly which one I'm not sure yet.), CPU and ram.

Then I'll sit down and make my second serious attempt at installng Gentoo - I'm currently using the Russian clone, Calculate.

And probably in about 6 weeks getting a 2 TB hdd to replace the 40 g I'm currently using.

Much as these question is probably in the wrong place I'm wondering his plan would not be better shuffled?

The other question of course is where do I go about find a secure boot workround ?

Last edited by nightlite on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightlite,

Secure boot is not yet a problem on Intel/AMD based boxes. If you are thinking of buying an ARM CPU, you may have more of a problem. There is a secureboot 'shim' for Linux that allows the use of some bootloaders but other than it exists, I know nothing more.

Do not confuse EFI and secureboot. They are different things. EFI mostly works, However, BIOSes vary.

Once you know which motherboard and CPU you will get, you can build your kernel and install, if need be, on your old system, so it will work on your new system. There is one catch, if your old system is 32 bit, you cannot use it to install a 64 bit system on your new HDD when it arrives. However, you can put both drives into the new system and dual boot while you change over, so you will still have your old install working, while you make a new one.

You have the order right, get new hardware, migrate old install to new hardware, add new HDD.
Do not get a WD Green 2T drive. I've had 2 out of 5 fail within 9 months of purchase. They are also slow.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
nightlite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy

I was thinking that EFI and secure boot where the same thing just under different makers

I know now I'm on the right track

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: