Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which Gentoo packages contain these files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamtheo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Which Gentoo packages contain these files? Reply with quote

I accidentally deleted a couple of files in /etc, and am wanting to know which packages contained them so I can re-install. *sheepish grin* Thanks.

'/etc/nsswitch.conf' and one other file in '/etc' that began with 'nss'. Unfortunately, I did not catch the name of it before I deleted it. Any ideas what It could have been? I had apache2, nss_ldap, pam_ldap, openldap, mysql, and postfix installed so far, along with the packages built during bootstrapping and system building during installation.
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/nsswitch.conf is in "baselayout". The other /etc/nss* files that I have are /etc/nsswitch.conf-winbind and /etc/nsswitch.conf-wins, both part of samba.

It doesn't sound like that's what you had. but it's all I know about. Hope it helps in any case :)
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that it will help with the files whos name you don't know, but you could always use 'qpkg' to find what package owns the files you do know the names of:

Code:

bash-2.05b# qpkg -f /etc/nsswitch.conf
msys-apps/mbaselayout *

Also if you are reasonably sure that you know what package the others came from you could just use qpkg to list the contents of that package and then grep the output:

Code:

bash-2.05b# qpkg -l baselayout |grep nss
/etc/nsswitch.conf

not that that would be a quick process if you had to sift through a couple of packages, but I'm sure theres a way to write a quick little script that would look through some file somewhere (possibly the world file?) and use qpkg to find all the files that contain nss ;) Oh and before anyone asks my thoughts on how to do this, I'm not what you would call an expert scripter...acutally I'm not sure I'd even call myself an amature scripter. Though because of my UNIX class I'm taking I am starting to develope the toolset (in my mind) that would help me to write some decent scripts...now if only I knew some perl.....:( Anyhow, sorry about the ramble. Hope this helps, and if anyone knows of a good place to start learning that doesn't require $50 and a bookstore, it would be much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: