Unpredictable system hang
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Unpredictable system hang Reply with quote

Hi, Gentoo gang!
Sometimes (once or twice a week) my Gentoo completely freezes. I can't do nothing, keyboard and mouse buttons not responding, no Ctrl+Esc, Alt+Ctrl+Esc, Alt+Ctrl+F1 and so on. All the things I can do is just moving mouse pointer over the screen.
Every time this hang occures on Firefox launch. Firefox window not appeared, but system frozen yet. And I have to press hardware reset button.
What this problem related to? I haven't any idea on where this problem coming from.
Any suggestions on where to search for hang reason?

P.S.
Firefox 10.0.10 here.
KDE 4.8.5
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have another OS? Does it crash too?
Do you have a network/Can you ssh into the machine when it hangs?
Are your keyboard LEDs blinking?
Can you crash without X11 started?
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!

1. I haven't other linux installed at this desktop.
2. I have another desktop (with debian installed) at my home network - I using this machine as samba server. I communicating with server via putty(from Gentoo). Debian has not putty installed but it is not a problem to install it.
3. No keyboard LEDs blinking when system hangs
4. No any kind of crashes or other problems (except a hang that was described above).

Do you think I can realize something by connecting to hanged Gentoo from Debian over ssh?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, what I really meant is whether or not the machine is even slightly "alive" when it crashes... it would be nice to see if you could login to a shell remotely to see if it has any diagnostic information.

If you can't even login to it - and it doesn't reply to pings, coupled with no LED blinking, it's likely hardware issue. So the machine won't crash if you don't have X11 running and say, you're doing an emerge world?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you have an nvidia card. Happens regularly here with nouveau; runs reasonably sane with nvidia-drivers.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ eccerr0r:
Gentoo was installed from stage3, I never performing updates, just full re-installation. So no problem with incorrect updates.
I've just connected to Gentoo from Debian over ssh. Just for testing :D All fine, I'm ready to connect when Gentoo hangs next time, if it would be possible :roll: . What commands would be helpful for checking? top, free ... something else?

@ mv:
Yes, I'm using NVidia card, but I never used nouveau, currently I have nvidia 295.75 installed.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I've just remembered some additional info: on Gentoo hang, sound works, amarok still plays sound...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently my i7 has been crashing on me, X11 completely hangs, but I had Audacious playing music and it still keeps on playing despite video hang. I can ssh in fine too. Dmesg did report issues with the graphics driver (intel onchip).

This is the kind of data that would be helpful, but for me I'm not certain if it's a graphics driver issue or hardware issue yet...
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can happen if you have a sudden power drain. Look at your motherboard: Perhaps some electrolytic capacitors have become fat.
Ottre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaker wrote:
Oh, I've just remembered some additional info: on Gentoo hang, sound works, amarok still plays sound...

If it's just a system freeze, you can recover your keyboard by pressing Alt + SysReq + R.

If that doesn't work, you can kill every process (except the init daemon) and go back to the login screen by pressing Alt + SysReq + E.

If neither key combination works, then it's not a freeze and you have a more serious problem to deal with.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottre wrote:
If it's just a system freeze, you can recover your keyboard by pressing Alt + SysReq + R.

If that doesn't work, you can kill every process (except the init daemon) and go back to the login screen by pressing Alt + SysReq + E.

In my experience, these never worked with nvidia-drivers or nouveau (and with nouveau the state where this should be needed is reached every few minutes).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: